What is the normal max boost on a 550 HP, C-15, 6NZ engine?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy rbtwbstr,

Thanks, we all have our faults, one of mine is a life long lust for Pete's.

Dave

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Altitude also makes a big difference in boost. Much more boost at sea level vs. 10,000 feet.

Air gets thinner as you go higher.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Cob

Howdy snowwy,

I travel the mountainous western States on a regular basis, I am well aware of how altitude affects horse power. Thanks for your post some who haven't driven in the mountains where some passes are over 10,000 feet are not aware of this.

Dave

5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I have a 01 pete with 6nz c-15 also. Have the pitts power box on it. Without box switched on, yes around 30 boost. Switch box on and depending what setting i have box set it will make 40 to 45 boost. Higher settings will go higher yet. The higher the settings obliviously more torque and hp. I also have a non wastegate larger turbo. But the box works well with stock turbo . Power box easy to install and been using for about 10 years, no issues whatsoever.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  6. Mr. Cob

Howdy stillwurkin,

Thanks for your reply. I have enough power for my use, I was just wondering what the normal max boost was on the stock engine, it appears that 30 psi is normal and that makes me happy.

Dave

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  7. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    From the 6NZ and MBN single turbos I've driven, never seen one go higher than 25-27 lbs.

My C-13 (first year ACERT) with twins has topped out at 60 lbs before.

That's perfectly normal for a 6NZ, and pulling a camper, I'm surprised you can even get it that high. Strikes me as a truck that should still be pulling loads down the road and working for a living. :p

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  8. Mr. Cob

Howdy Zeviander,

The truck is working, its working at making my retirement and dragging my huge toy hauler a very pleasant experience.

Dave

magoo68, stillwurkin and Zeviander Thank this.
  9. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    You have a nice retirement setup.! Good for you. Blessed!

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy stillwurkin,

I am very fortunate that years ago I won my fight with the VA, and could retire, Hell of a way to get retired but it beats the alternative. I am doing the best I can to live whats left of my life in honor of my many Brothers who never came home and driving this Pete with pride is one of the ways I do it.

Dave

11. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi mr cob. Yep that’s all I get too. 27-28 lbs. is all you’re going to get and that’s normal. If you have a waste gate, pinch off the hose and you can really wind it up, but I DO NOT recommend it. It happened to me once . Had no choice. Waste gate took a dump and I wanted to get home. Babied it all the way and fixed it that night. Nice looking unit by the way

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.