What is the REAL average first year income for a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SinCityShooter, Dec 14, 2017.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One company DM Bowman in Frederick dealt with a 4 day fiasco when a alternator failed one morning, I made it to the navy base on battery, until the batteries died. I knew something was off on the alternator after having been off work 3 days prior to that morning being sick. That alternator was showing 13.4 volts on battery rather than a healthy 14.5 during cranking.

Anyway. overnight in a hotel while they fixed THAT problem. Collect truck that afternoon. Make it to Doswell Petro. Go to dinner at 6PM. Compressor quits locking all brakes during dinner. (Love that...)

Tow truck show up with spare tractor at 4 am. swap. Back to bed. Get going in the morning.

Truck turned out to be a shop queen junker with a totaled front end. Pulled over 1 mile after leaving petro. Sit there 3 hours until other company trucks stopped and provided communciations etc. A third tow truck came down with a beast of a day cab for me to run under special command from officers in management. I get back to yard.

Day 4 a one way converstation from me to boss resulted in just about a entire week paid day and night at 10.00 per hour flat which comes out to 700 plus gross, sick pay added for three days flat and then one trip to navy base norfolk. all of which turned into a rather hefty check of almost a thousand net for my trouble. Bosses have one way converstation with the revelant shop crew. And next morning I had a virgin mack daycab waiting in my spot with a new set of keys. Forget the pay lol...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It's interesting how; These government agencies insist on taking data in a form that is not comprehensive. Then publish it in a different form completely. Your example.... taking in only per hour. Then publishing in yearly income. ... Doh!

They could easily take in a $70k/yr truckers income. Converting that to hourly. Lets say honestly about 65 hours a week driving. Anything over 40 hours is time and a half. So that comes out to $17.36 an hour. .... They convert that back to yearly income. Ignoring actual hours or overtime. It comes to; $36K per year. ..... Doh!

4. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Ok you were talking about me. Yes I did get the answer to my question. I believe the average to be around 45k a year for the looks of what has been posted here. Definitely better than those threads on this site claiming they worked hard but only made 30k a year. I'm not a fool and didn't really believe that a newb would make 80k a year. It was more how much you didn't make for the amount of time you worked.

5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you can fit everything but your bed in the truck, sell the bed and cancel your lease. Cut all expenses but your phone. Now you make what you did before.

If I was doing this only for money I would have quit the first month.

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I am not a complete newbie to driving, but I am to otr .I just started otr almost exactly 1 month ago and I have already grossed just over 4 grand... Buy here's the kicker in that month I have been home for like 12 days because I chose to be home for family events.

No I don't drive for a mega, and I never will. I work for a smaller family owned company in Idaho. I just got a raise from 35 cpm to 37 cpm...plus I can make the 37 cpm go up to as high as 42 cpm if I want to run hard (for every 1k miles over 10k in a calender month my pay goes up 1 cpm, with a limit of an extra 5 cpm.)

Once the holidays pass I'm going to really turn and burn to make some real $$$.

So there is pretty decent money to be made if you want to run hard for the right company.

SinCityShooter Thanks this.
  7. The Tiny Bee

The Tiny Bee Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Colorado
    You grossed 4K in less than 3 weeks? What are you pulling?

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  8. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Waccamaw in NC approved my application as a rookie to haul gas, but they were low 40s to start. Home daily and weekends off was something to consider. I went with the higher pay running for Superior.

SinCityShooter Thanks this.
  9. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Where does it say I HAVE to make a 100k a year? No where, that's where.
    Where does it say that I HAVE to make X amount of money to survive at minimum? No where, that's where.

Now you're trying to tell us you enjoy working for peanuts? BS, its always about the money, and then after that your enjoyment. Do you really think all of these people change companies because they want to make less? No they change because of money.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
    Reason for edit: Removed insult
    Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    @35cpm nonetheless. Oversized load of Bull$heet would be my guess.

11. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    I made over 70k my first year. I don't work for peanuts. I drive because I love doing it. If you don't, no amount of money will be worth it.

I don't work for peanuts. I don't even work. I'm a driver and I'm vastly overpaid for what I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2017
    Reason for edit: Removed insult
    Dan.S and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.