What is the REAL average first year income for a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SinCityShooter, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Well that was fun reading.

WesternPlains and Dan.S Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I run reefer... No BS... I've made 3 runs thus far... first was about 3600 miles (6 days), next was almost 3900 (8 days), and the last was like 3300 (6 days)... Only the first was at 35 cpm, both the last 2 were at 37 cpm... I guess that works out to about $3900 gross but none the less its nearly 4k.

The second trip was as follows... Idaho falls, ID to Rigby, ID (load) to Lima, OH (drop and hook) to Detroit, MI (load) to Springville, UT (unload) to Spanishfork, UT (drop and hook) to Idaho falls, ID...

I don't dink around on the road, I run 10 to 11 hours of driving whenever possible and do a 34 hr reset at home... All our runs are 6 to 8 days unless weather slows us down.

So if anyone wants to call that Oversized BS then to each their own, but I run hard, cause I can, and I can make it work with my company.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  4. The Tiny Bee

The Tiny Bee Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Colorado
    That sound like you have found a diamond in the rough first job.. Hope it continues to be prosperous for you...

SingingWolf and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    I hate to break it to you your not making decent money.

And that bonus program is disgusting , you would have to drive your sack into the ground at about 4000 miles a week just to get what you should be getting on 2500 to 3000 miles.
    You being taking advantage of.

6. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Half my family lives there. Pretty cheap living. Probably doing really well in Idaho Falls standards.

Hey My dad lives in those super nice houses off of sunnyside. They call it the rich neighborhood.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I understand that it may not be the greatest $$ that is out there but for me and my family in this part of the country that is pretty good $$... Especially seeing as I get to be home every 6 to 8 day and this is my first otr job... All my driving experience together I have less than 150k miles under my belt as most of it has been local day haul kind of work. I have had my CDL for 5 years but have been driving truck since I was a teenager doing farm work. Before I took this job I made about 45k annually working a full time job (not a driving job) that had times of the year that I was working 80+ hours a week for 6 to 8 weeks straight... I know what its like to work my "sack into the ground" and I'm not afraid of it... As long as I get paid enough to take care of my family. So far I'm making roughly twice what I made at my previous job. Eventually I can look for a better otr gig but I need to get some miles under my belt first and I think this is a good first step.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    SingingWolf, Mortarmaggot and d o g Thank this.
  8. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    The job is the same , it doesn't matter what the cost of living is where you live.

9. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I know that neighborhood... I know an older gentleman that lives there, worked with him actually.

And yes for the cost of living in this area I'm doing well... Was even doing ok at my previous job but this will be better.

10. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    More power to ya driver! You be getting mega miles cuz you being paid cheap rate. Glad you also figured out how to average 650miles a day driving. Good luck to ya, somebody gotta haul it

driverdriver Thanks this.
  11. driverdriver

May 30, 2011
    By the way this wasn't a slam against you as a person.
    It was about you saying decent money.
    True you may be doing better than you were but, what your being paid and the miles you have to put in isn't decent.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.