What is the REAL average first year income for a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SinCityShooter, Dec 14, 2017.

1. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It also depends how much home time you want.

Stay out for an entire year without going home and god knows how much you could make.

Go home every 2 weeks for 3.5 days like I do and the bottom line takes a hit, but waking up in a real bed sometimes is well worth it.

morpheus and SinCityShooter Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Thank you, very informative.

4. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Forgot to mention I drove about 115k-120k miles first year (don't remember the number exactly), just to give you some perspective.

SinCityShooter Thanks this.
  5. SinCityShooter

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    The math doesn't lie. Once again, thank you for the honesty. I could run like that.

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    This idea of pay in your first year should be thought of differently. How much money should a 2-year vocational school pay you during your first year as a student? Ridiculous, right? They don’t pay you to learn in college, you pay them. So apply that same thinking to your first year as a truck driver. You are learning a lifelong skill. The real money comes later, not your first year. But as a bonus, you still get paid even though you are almost worthless at first.

Btw If you go to Melton flatbed, you can earn 60k in your first year. Then it goes up from there. Other flatbed companies pay the same.

UturnGirl and austinmike Thank this.
  7. SinCityShooter

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    I will thank you for this part as an honest answer. The rest, well I didn't ask about the second year or the third and so on, just the first. I am probably older than most here and I fully understand the learning curve and time when it comes to pay.

I am a complete knowledge junkie when it comes to just about everything I do, whether its machining a custom car part, playing guitar, tig welding a piece of stainless or aluminum. I don't just jump into something I know very little about. I've already found out pay for +1 year experience is.

I'm really trying to keep this thread on subject.

TravR1 Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    SinCityShooter Thanks this.
  9. SinCityShooter

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Thanks, much appreciated.

10. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    The problem of asking "how much do you make" on the internet is we are all faceless, nameless, BS'ers. We all make more money on the internet then ever shows up in our bank accounts. You can take that to the bank.

The federal government says in 2016 the average truck driver made $43,590.
    Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers

Of course everyone here is above average and kills that in their first year. Just who are all those drivers with decades of experience making the lower numbers to come up with that average?

While I have found the Bureau of Labor to be quite accurate over the years, ignore their hourly estimate for truck drivers. A large portion of the industry works on percentage and CPM. The total is real, but the hourly wage is deceptive since many truck drivers don't punch a clock and are financially motivated to misrepresent the actual hours spent. Hourly wage is often less then minimum.

The same thinking should go for miles driven. A new driver hears from the recruiter that the "driver's here average 2500 miles a week." No driver thinks of themselves as average. We are all above average! So when you tune in here, you will hear reports of 3000+ miles a week since we are all above average, of course. When you get into the bowels of the statistics at most of the mega trucking companies, you will find the weekly average for drivers is around 1700-2200miles a week, through no fault of their own. Obviously the recruiter is motivated to exaggerate and so are the drivers that appear on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Below average weekly mileage with a draconian miles to hours left until delivery check against the fleet policy of 50 miles an hour at 6 am. Those running late get a call me message, some of whom will have the last day of employment.

You cannot count on a full year of employment anything when drivers are disposible.

And yes we have a time clock, first the logbooks now the electronic ELD. If that #### does not matter to the government in terms of wages earned, then this whole thing is a .. hunts for words... a .. frivolous exercise.

In my time in order to settle the feast and famine problem weekly is to be a trainer at salary. As long your students pass evaluation with the required skills which YOU will be teaching them, who cares what the miles pay or whatever is. Salary sufficient fat takes care of that. The industry has been obsolete for decades paying the same tired .32 because people are not aware that is what they paid 50 years ago.

Once the industry understands the fixed cost of salary based driving positions, then things should settle down nicely.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.