What is Up with 23

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cowboy385, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cowboy385

cowboy385 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Chuckey,TN
    Hey I am a student and all the decent trucking companys I find like Maverick or TMC you have to be 23 and I am 22 for gods sake I was a sheriff deputy and a EMT-IV before I decided to start trucking is there anyway to persuade theses companies to hire me I am a very mature 22 year old TMC said I had to be 22 and 8 months I am 22 and 4 months I hate to go to a trucking company I don't like and quit in three months. Please advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Simple enough. The insurance companies break drivers down into age and risk categories. And one of the breakpoints is at age 23. From 16-23, males tend to have very poor driving records and are very hard to insure. The age group from 23 to 30 has a much lower risk of having an accident. So many of the companies follow the insurance companies lead, and won't take on drivers under that age. It's very expensive to have drivers from the younger age categories on the payroll.

4. Gooseneck

Gooseneck Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Asheville, NC
    Sounds to me that by the time you go through all of the hassle of convincing a company to hire you, you'll be 23, or 22 and 8 months. Just stick it our a few more months, it'll go by before you know it. Also, I'd be a little concerned about a companies true moral intentions and business practices if they were to hire you before legal age.

5. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    AS Burky said it's an insurance thing.... you know the magic number that is supposed to make you safer or gain wisdom.... Kind stupid in a way and should be evaluated on a case by case circumstances.... Same goes with an 18 year old can go fight for his country but when he comes back he still can't drink a beer.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.