What is wrong with this story on a crash?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Big Don, Apr 22, 2017.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    IDK about that. I still get recall notices from Ford about a 2013 Fusion I used to have before they bought it back(they were required to under Massachusetts state lemon laws because of the chronic problems it had).;) I had Hyundai and Kia vehicles that were less problematic.lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Bingo. One itsy bitsy lock ring on that wheel bearing. If its loose then only a matter of time till it backs all the way off and there goes your entire hub assembly. If it happens while in a sharp turn, a rollover is a very real risk.

4. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Why is everyone bashing on the reporter... yes, she did have some typos, the double and in there.. but, no more typos then posts bashing her..

Why the confusion about the drivers... she wrote that a 38 year old man was driving the 2009 truck that tipped over, and a 52 year old woman was driving the 2017 truck that was parked along the road.

She clearly stated...

This report is based on preliminary information provided by law enforcement and may not contain the full scope of findings.

Also, she never stated she was an expert in truck accidents or anything, she just did her job which was was report on preliminary information.. it is not a reporters job to inject their opinions on what or how it happened or if what the driver of the 2009 said was plausible... he said he was going no more that 15mph... she wrote the he stated ".... no more than 15mph...

Even in her Bio there is nothing about her having any knowledge of trucks and truck accidents..

"Cody Blowers was raised in South San Francisco, California. A 2013 graduate of Colorado Technical University, Cody earned her bachelor’s degree in criminal justice with a minor in paralegal studies. Through the course of her academic studies she discovered that writing is her true passion, and she is committed to providing credible, integrated news coverage. Cody joined St. George News in 2015, and when she’s not busy chasing the news, she can generally be found chasing her young granddaughter."

So... how does a truck going no more than 15 mph flip and slide as the driver stated... also, how does a wheel just fall off after passing a thorough pre trip inspections that all drivers do before they drive off... and what of the smell of alcohol... how strong was his mouth wash..

5. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    @FireLotus professionals are held to higher standards. In this case proper grammar, spelling, and sentence structure. No different than expecting your mechanic to fix your truck right. A cook to serve your steak done the way you ordered it. Or a truck driver to not flip a truck over making a turn. Unfortunately, standards in our society no longer matter.

6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    A vehicle that tips over at 15 mph doesnt slide is the issue. It just lays over. Yet the problem is the act of getting a truck to lay on its side can not be done at 15 mph. The truck must be going faster than 15 mph. Also to lose a tire or what ever is still not able to tip a truck. Drivers have blown tires all the time and have never resulted in a tip over.

However. If the driver had been going 51 mph would be a different matter and tried to turn abruptly. Then both items would happen. The truck will tip over and it will slide along the ground.

Toomanybikes, DoneYourWay and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I can and have done manuvering at roughly 28 mph to 31 max for fast lane changes and really heavy types of turning called J turns. Those are rare. But you have to unload the input quickly to get that rig back stable before she goes over.

At 15? Sliding?" etc all of these do not compute. Losing a tire? You wrote my exact concerns.

I suspect there is much more to the story. 51mph will definately do it. Over she goes and the slide to follow.

I can go on beating this accident but without fresh information I feel like that of a dead horse. lol.

8. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Wanna bet on that? I could deliberately flip a loaded truck in first gear if i wanted to. 60k lbs puts a lot of force at that fifth wheel. Jack that wheel fast enough and the truck is going over and the trailer is following it. As for sliding. It won't slide much, but it will slide. It isn't going to instantly halt its movement the moment it touches. Setting how little damage was done to the trailer that was struck(those side panels are nothing but very thin aluminum and they aren't even caved in) it appears there was almost no momentum left when the collision took place.

Was the guy was only going 15? Probably not. But it is plausible. My guess? He was doing about 25 and cut the wheel way to0 sharp way too fast due to alcohol consumption.

lovesthedrive and FireLotus Thank this.
  9. FireLotus

Mar 26, 2017
    While I agree with you... I will also point out that this is actually more of a news blog and based on her bio she is probably a contributor and not a reporter...

Also, I would hold the editor more responsible for the spelling and grammar errors as that is their job... Contributors and reporters are more responsible for getting content in to meet deadlines, so they often turn it in with errors and it is the editor who is responsible for polishing it up, correcting spelling, grammar, sentice structure and choice of words...

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OK, first off, Cody IS a full time reporter for this small on line newspaper. And she is THE reporter who wrote the story.
    I actually like this lady. BUT she needs to get her shirt together and FIND OUT FACTS. Reporting the news in general has left truth and fact checking behind, because everybody wants to be the first to get the story out.
    And when reporters report things like someone sitting in a Hyundai truck tractor, in this country, they are showing themselves to be clueless.
    You go ahead and hold Joyce responsible, she is the editor. However, this is a small operation, and she does not work 24/7. Which means the folks doing the reporting need to be all that more diligent in their jobs.

As one who was badly burned by an idiotic reporter who reported incorrect "facts" I do take this crap personally.

11. FireLotus

Mar 26, 2017
    This is an online News Website... not saying that they do not provide good local and national news content... but, from her bio.. she does not have her degree in journalism... like most traditional Reporters...

Now, anyone can start their own news website, they very profitable, and easy to start and run... Then you get freelance writers to submit content in either AP style or SEO... pick from the submission what you want to put on your site and pay the writer... it would also be wise to secure some freelance writers to be consistent regular submitters so you can always have fresh content...

My last couple years on the road I made fairly good extra money as a freelance writer... would find things to write about, get pictures or videos and submit them to various places... so, for example, if I were parked at a truck stop and a truck rolled over after losing a wheel, I would go get pictures and some information and write out a quick 500 to 700 article about it. Then I would run it through my AP Style software checker, submit it to sites that require AP style articles, then I would run it through the SEO checker and submit it to sites that required SEO. Then see if one or more of the sites accepted it.. sometimes no one did, sometimes one accepted it and paid me for it, sometimes it got accepted more than once and I got paid twice or even three or four times for it.

I still do freelance writing.. it is a nice and fun second income..

But, this is a Trucker forum and not a freelance writers or journalism forum so back to the trucks..

often times there are trucks parked along the road by a truck stop, after all parking is an issue... from lack of spaces and drivers who just can't park so why not just park where all you gotta do is pull over..

Clearly the 38 year old California man driving his 2009 while over the blood alcohol limit is in the wrong..

But, what about the 52 year old woman in the 2017 parked along the road... should she be ticketed?

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.