What is wrong with this story on a crash?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Big Don, Apr 22, 2017.

1. jeastonjr

jeastonjr Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Weymouth,Ma.
    "2009 semi was traveling north on 120 East and was in the middle of making a left-hand turn onto 2680 South to proceed west"

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hey that's one thing you can't blame the reporter for!
    The street naming system is historic in Utah. And while it's confusing at first, when you stop and think about it, it does make finding a particular address very easy. It's based on a grid system. The starting point for the streets, is usually at what was historically the "center" of town.
    So for St. George, the starting point is the intersection of Tabernacle St. and Main St. So the first Street West of that intersection, is 100 West St, the first street south of that intersection is 100 South St. Same is true for streets east and north.
    This is great for streets running in a more or less straight line.
    120 E. is going to be between 1 and 2 blocks east of the prolongation of Main St., and 2680 S. is going to be between 26 and 27 blocks south of Tabernacle St.
    Of course in "modern times," they are adding names to the streets. Example, 100 N. is St. George Blvd. Another example 700 E. is also called University.
    And then you have all the newer subdivisions that the developers have streets making serious curves and sometimes circles, to cut lot sizes into irregular shapes. Done to let the subdivisions follow the natural geography of the land, and get more lots to sell.
    Most of these have street names, rather than just numbers.
    But the grid system is a very handy, easy to use system. Almost every town and city in Utah, and a lot of cities and towns across the country use it.
    And that is likely much more than you ever wanted to know about street designations.:D

4. DoneYourWay

DoneYourWay Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2013
    one of 48
    i know how my wheels and tires are attached but i am shocked this reporter did not explain this in the article, she makes it seem like our wheels/tires just fall off for no reason and her weak, lazy writing only creates more doubt and questions about the events which is the exact opposite of what a good report should do

there is a lot of inaccuracy and misinformation in this article and it only adds to the public's ignorance and fear

Cottonmouth85 Thanks this.
  5. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I didn't have my comment pointed at anyone...
    I agree, it's terribly written. It seems like I'm coming across more and more of these 'articles' that are full of misinformation and mistakes.

I guess that's what happens when the only requirement to be a 'journalist' is a computer. o_O

Lets bring back the stereotypical angry, cigar smoking newspaper editor who doesn't allow the rookies to cover important stories. :biggrin_2559:

DoneYourWay, Big Don and 7-UP Thank this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    AMEN!
    Great Caesar's Ghost! Cotton hits it right on the head again!:D

DoneYourWay and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I call BS, sir! I am quite sure your five year old grand-daughter knows the difference between a "tractor" and a "trailer".
    I'm also quite sure she would never say "semitractor"......

DoneYourWay and cnsper Thank this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    No, I've seen Cody's byline before. She is apparently the chief of the St. George News' "Truck bureau".

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Reason for edit: Just found out Cody's a "she"....
    DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.