WHAT IS YOUR EXPERIENCE DRIVING TEAMS?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rightaway, Dec 4, 2019.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    First of all you really don’t get much sleep.
    Then you have to find a driver who your compatible with, smokes, not a slob and a reliable driver.
    Good luck.

FlaSwampRat and Rightaway Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    I don't trust anybody's driving enough to sleep with them driving.

maybe a short nap with the wife driving the 4 wheeler.

4. Rightaway

Rightaway Bobtail Member

May 5, 2016
    USA
    HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE

Woodys and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. Rightaway

Rightaway Bobtail Member

May 5, 2016
    USA
    The idea was tempting because you can travel a greater distance in a shorter time frame.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    HAHAHAHAHA.. ya right. The problem is still the same. Forget the time and driving more.

I was a Husband wife team and we have actually had FFE dispatchers in LA CA call us on satellite and complain that were 10 minutes late leaving Avenel NJ yard expected to arrive in LA in exactly 52 to 53 hours straight through.

We made it giving up a memphis fuel stop for a gamble on Holbrook AZ. Which would have been just over 2150 miles with 6 gallons left in both tanks total. We made LA about 4 minutes early. Otherwise it would have been at LEAST 40 minutes LATE if we fueled in Memphis.

This was with a 63 mph truck. If we had a unlimited ungoverned tractor we would have made LA between 2 to 3 hours early. So all of FFE's problems with that load is on them. Not us. And for that given situation it was BETTER for FFE to pay me 2000 in salary, pay the wife 350 in salary training pay that load of 2965 miles.

IF they had to pay regular .75 to the truck, (Wife .30, me .45) that would have been a 4400 dollar week once a round trip of LA to NJ is completed in about 5 days and change drop and hook. So it benefited FFE to have trainers and trainees on that route to save half the payroll expense.

Teams? HA... you will be abused.

7. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Here is another team screw up from FFE, I am not picking on FFE. I was with them for a small number of years.

Wife and I were told to hurry go to Americold in Salinas one spring day, two big managers told us its emergency hurry and show up there.

Ok fine.

We sit on front of their two docks 50 feet from their office entry door idling and precooling at -20 83 hours later we accepted two facts.

ALL of our fuel is essentially gone. We were making arrangements to have fuel delivered to us to maintain tractor and precooling trailer by a local fuel dealer tanker. When they came out to load us. (This is on the afternoon of the third day going into evening)

The load was about 1200 miles for that week. A total and utter waste. LA and San Fran Yards had drivers locally all the time. THEY can fetch the trailer. Not us.

That was when we started looking into McKesson Medicine with a Little Rock Employer out of Memphis. No more of that food BS. And in due time we quit FFE and joined McKesson things improved drastically.

Teams? HA.... you will be reamed and don't even know it.

I am actually working towards being cleared medically next year to get back into it I already know one thing. ANY time a officer of a company says hurry up emergency to somewhere, I tell them no. Send some other chump. They can always fire us. Thats not a problem.

bentstrider83 and Numb Thank this.
  9. Rightaway

Rightaway Bobtail Member

May 5, 2016
    USA
    From the sounds of it, I know you wouldn't have it any other way.

10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    On paper teaming seems like an amazing idea. Travel the country with a buddy. Make all kindzz of money. Have a set driving schedule, and rarely have to deal with parking situation.

Where does it all go wrong? Once you realize you have to spend every waking minute trapped in a rolling cubicle with another full grown person.

11. Rightaway

Rightaway Bobtail Member

May 5, 2016
    USA
    You're right, the pay is NOT commensurate with the rush-express travel. And if the other driver does not share the same pace you won't be too effective in space of time/money.

Flat Earth Trucker and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.