What is YOUR income, any/all experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by inthewindaz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Could be that alot of folks are not that interested in all the math and breaking their life down second by second, I'm sure not. Could be that they have a different picture book

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    Ok, let me paint you a defferent picture. I am currently a Corrections officer at a state prison in Georgia. I have to break up fights, get spit on, fight fires, pass out mail, pull people out of rooms full of smoke because there dumb ##### set there matress on fire, and any number of things that alot of people don't know goes on behind prison walls. I have been doing this for 7 1/2 years. Take a wild guess how much money I make doing this. Just put out some numbers, and I will come back here later and let you know.

4. Dixiecup

Dixiecup Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Missouri

Somewhere between $9.00 and $15.00. I would say about 8.50 starting out, but you have been there awhile so I am guessing about $10.00. Am I in the ball park?

I don't think in trucking the pay per hour matters. Yeah if you break it down like that it sucks but most of these guys and gals like it out there on the open road and would not trade it for anything. And the ones that don't like it so much are willing to make that sacrifice for there family's at home. Maybe we need to show these figures to the trucking industry on how much our truckers are very underpaid. Instead of "weeding out" new drivers we need to weed out bad paying truck company's. Just my 2 cents!

5. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    It's a little higher that 10 an hour. And I work 44 hours a week. Well now I don't my last day is the 10th. I'm starting with Millis on the 15th.

6. tinglish

tinglish Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Cottonwood, CA
    1) What is your daily pay (miles x cpm)?
    436 miles # .55 = $239.80
    + wait time or breakdown or whatever # $22 per hour (ranges from 1/2 hour to 4 hrs or more in the case of a breakdown)

2) hours per week worked paid ?
    45 - 50 hrs, more if the weather is bad

3) hours per week worked total ?
    same as above

4) miles driven per week ?

5) days home per week/or month?
    i work for an ltl co. and i'm home every night unless the road gets closed.

gross last year was 65K, expect about the same this year.

most of the ltl companies, Yellow, Roadway, UPS freight, Old Dominion, Fed-Ex, pay in that range. some are union some are not.

you need current, verifiable experience, a clean record (and a little luck) to get hired. and you have to be willing to run in the rain or snow or the dark of night.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    1.) $23.50 an hour for 10 hours then $32.25 for 2 hours
    2.) 60 paid $23.50 X 40 hours then $32.25 X 20 hours = $1585 a week
    3.) 60
    4.) Maybe a 1000 mostly local
    5.) 2 days every week

Holidays 2 1/2 times base 11 holidays 3 weeks vacation

8. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

The big picture for me works. In this job, when he is off, he is truly off. We can plan vacations or weekend getaways. When he and we were running a kitchen, there was no escape from the restaurant. He would work from very early to very late. Days off were still spent with phone calls or going in for some reason. More than once, he would have to go in to work in the middle of the night to start a roast cooking or something.

In ten years, the longest vacation that we ever had was a 6 day vacation. In contrast, in July he had 15 days off to get married and go on a honeymoon. He barely made it to his daughter's graduation, and he missed mine. He now has the ability to pick and chose when he is home.

So for me, comparing the big picture to the big picture, trucking wins. And I haven't even compared the money or the benefits. Or the less physical wear and tear on his body.

9. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    Well, you hit the nail on the head... these are the kinds of figures that NEED to be put out there to force trucking companies to start paying a decent wage and getting drivers home more often who want to be home, while still making good money.

But you are wrong in that the pay per hour DOES matter because it is the real income you are receiving and it is how everything in the working world is broken down. If someone came to you and offered you a job, told you they would pay you $6 an hour, you would have 3 days off a month, work 24 hours a day/7 days a week... what would be your reaction?

Note the other professional drives on this thread who have given a breakdown on what their income is... the ones making GOOD money, that have a GOOG income with benefits and doing what they like... these guys are home on a regular basis as well...are ALL working for companies that pay them BY THE HOUR. These drivers don't state if they are union or not, but I assure you, they are either union or smaller private fleets that pay well for good experienced drivers and treat their drivers well. Thuis is opposed to the big companies that are driver mills and that are trying to control this industry.

The drivers who posted on here that are making good incomes, are prrof that companies can make money and be viable in an industry while paying their drivers excellent HOURLY wages and benefits with good home time. If they can do it, all can do it. But the Jerry Moyes of the world (owner of SWIFT and Swift subsidiaries) rake in the bucks, some of which could and SHOULD be going to drivers, and instead afford him the chance to buy sports teams and live in luxury. Do you think he will change his pay scale for drivers? Hell no. Do you think Swift, Knight, name a hundred large companies.... will start paying drivers by the hour and give them more home time? Hell no. Why should they? Because the fed. govt. has established a system for them that is essentially a system of endentured servants... also know as slaves. You eat, sleep and live in your truck, work 24 hours a day, for $5 or $6 an hour!

If you think that is acceptable.. you are crazy. Like the post about the folks from the restaurant industry, which I understand because I owned a restaurant myself. Long hours. BUT, I was home, saw my kids, and had control... though I would not do it again. If she and her husband find it acceptable to work for $6 an hour... lol.. that's their thing. If indentured servitude is what you enjoy... be my guest. My preference is to work like the professional drivers posting on here who are paid by the hour. And my whole point of this excercise is that this is what ALL trucking companies should be held to... this standard of pay and treatment. But it will not happen as long as there are those who don't care and who are happy making $6 an hour as slaves to some large company.

Last, greatly appreciate the drivers taking their time to provide breakdowns on hours, income, etc... I think it is an extremely educational excercise. Interesting that there is no input from drivers for the larger companies and being paid .30 or .35 or .40 per mile even... even still... I hope everyone who reads these comments here will take the time to breakdown their pay and maybe it will wake up enough drivers to start saying "wait a #### minute, this ain't right!"

10. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    You have one statement I agree with... if you are happy making $6.00 an hour... "trucking wins". BTW... he can pick and chose, but he starts taking time off, watch what happens to his loads and miles... industry norm for the big companies is a MAX. of 4 days in a row off, and they usually include the day you get home and the day you leave as 2 of those 4 days. But again... watch what happens if and when he starts taking time off. :biggrin_25525:

11. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    These are the kinds of jobs I want and that I think most would want... but yes... verifiable experience of at least 1 or 2 years... and that is where the big companies have people like me by the 'nads... you gotta slave for them for 2 years to be eligible, and that is wrong. Everyone should have the chance to make a good wage under good conditions... not as much as experienced drivers, but more than $6hr. Local jobs pay $10 to $15... but.. companies like yours won't accept that as experience usually. You can't win. What was your first job? How did you get to where you are now? I am curious. Same with the tanker driver.. I know he too has experience to get where he is.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate the time and comments.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.