What is YOUR income, any/all experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by inthewindaz, Sep 8, 2008.

1. inthewindaz

inthewindaz Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I agree... I met an O/O/biker 4 years ago who had his truck built to carry his Harley behind the cab... pullout SS side ramp and a platform that he road up onto and parked. Now that is the way to fly OTR! I'll most likely be renting bikes around the country as I travel.
    Tinglish, contact me in Phx., and if I'm here, rent a bike and if you are an experienced rider, come join our MC on a ride... nothing liking riding in a MC Club, a pack of 60 to 80 bikes... :) we sound like a load of 747's screaming down the hiway... don't stop for red lights, stop signs...nada (no Club does)... 4 wheelers move out of the way and enjoy the parade... albeit one that's hauling ###. :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I won't rip into this point by point... there are comments in here by others that are worth reading, and you should read them. But I will debate this part of your statement about slavery. You are dead wrong....

When a 21 yo kid with a GED or just out of HS reads the BS ads and hears the BS coming from a recruiters mouth, promising him (this is factual, I don't make this #### up) up to $45k his first year... or become a trainer after 6 months and make up to $120k a year, hometime whenever you need it, dedicated runs after your training is up... on and on... and this poor kid, maybe with a young wife and baby... gets into their training program for a CDL, is now indebt $4000 and UNDER CONTRACT for up to 2 years to pay it off... guess what? They have this kid, uneducated, unknowing, by the balls pal.

This happens right now to 100's of kids every single day around the country who don't have a clue. And these driver mills are allowed to lie, false advertise, mislead... whatever... to get these young kids signed. Schools take financial kickbacks to steer students to these companies.. payola... also illegal. This is common practice in this industry. It's what you call "paying your dues". It's what I call BS!

I will not accept statements approving what these large driver mills do to people. It's wrong, it's unethical and some of it is illegal. Starting out with a lower pay, and a legitimate job, with a legit trainer and a legit company.. that is paying your dues. Lying and misrepresenting yourself and company to get a name on a contract, locking someone in to work for up to 2 years, and then putting them in a position where they are making as little as $50 a week... that is slave labor. And it's common... just read the hundreds of horror stories in these threads... they are everywhere.

Drive safe.

4. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Indiana
    I Recently changed runs, took a paycut but less stops on new run allow me to get finished quicker.

New Daily rate is $275, $1375 weekly gross. Takes 9 hours to complete, 5 day workweek, 45 hours a week. 17 stops and 264 miles daily or 1320 miles a week. Home daily. Driver unloads product at retail locations. Computes to over a dollar per mile to company driver or over $30 an hour.

Old run grossed over 1500 weekly but took 12 hours. Had 20 stops and 359 miles.

Grossed over $78,000 last year.

Physical work, but compensated well.

5. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I've been around this industry and this forum long enough to hear just about every tale of tragedy there is. I don't condone companies such as Swift, CR England, etc. that routinely engage in the practices you highlighted here. However, the fact remains that no one is holding a gun to the head of that 21 year old you spoke of in your example. He would certainly incur a financial hardship were he to leave, but staying with a company that you exampled is far worse.

Is it morally corrupt and wrong? You bet. Is it up to an individual to do their research and see to it they don't allow this to happen to them? Absolutely. Hence this website.

I've heard the argument time and time again that going thru a company sponsored school and having them pay for said schooling is slave labor. That's absolute BS. I drove for PAM Transport for two years after attending MTC in St. Louis. PAM paid all but $1300 of my tuition in exchange for a year's worth of employment. During that year, I bought a house, a car, and new furniture. So was I a slave just because I opted to have someone else share the costs of my tuition? I think not. I don't recall any slaves in the Confedaracy owning homes and transportation. Company sponsored training is NOT slavery.

None of these define slavery in the connotative way you have. I thought it might have until I looked up wage slavery.

This definition could be applicable to anyone who works for a living. Especially anyone who works for a living but doesn't manage their finances well.

To call trucking jobs slavery is a misnomer. As I said, I don't condone those companies that treat their drivers like trash and I know they're out there. But it is NOT slavery by definition. At worst it's a financial hardship.

6. pete1983

pete1983 Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2008
    alvin,tx
    well when i frist stared i was making maybe 450 to 500 a week if i was lucky but now since i went to work elseware i make bout 900 to 1100 a week and home every weekend it just depends when you work i work for a small company only 5 trucks i would never go back to a big company

7. inthewindaz

Aug 19, 2008
    Mesa, AZ
    I won't disagree with your definitions... I was wanting to make a point; and you do get and understand the point I was wanting to make. That works for me. Hopefully others will also.

But while you say no one is holding a gun to that kids head... when you have poorly educated and uneducated young guys looking at this industry as a financial breakthrough for them, and it is based upon flat out lies, false advertising, kickbacks for steering new drivers to certain companies... that is for all intents and purposes putting a gun to this kid's head.

These scumbag recruiters who will say and do anything to get a name on a dotted line should be held accountable for the lives they ruin. Yes, people are all responsible for the decisions they make, and we all have made bad decisions... but when I see BS like this... I will at least ##### about it. Like you stated... it is not right.

8. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    D@#$ recruiters.............:violent1:...........

9. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    We've all complained about the same things you are complaining about now. Unfortunately even the government supports these tactics, get used to it. You can't change it for anyone else. Only yourself.

You're finding out on your own, why this industry is such a mess, and why there is a "perceived" driver shortage. You're also learning why drivers job hop so much.

And we do help each other out with these issues, even within this forum. By providing information. Some use it correctly, the others see dollars signs...and think we're nuts. Well we are nuts...but the majority of us are happy nuts :)

So now...to piss you off even further.

My last pay stub just came in. I'm at $35K for the year. Not great. But fair, considering the amount of home time I get (it's a lot).

Even my dispatcher will tell you, she doesn't ask "where" I want to go. She ask, "which" load I want :biggrin_25525: there's a differance...and I taught it to her LOL.

I'm thrilled with my company, and the overall treatment they give me.

Are they the best? I don't know. But I'm happy for the moment, and have no intention of leaving.

The T-Shirt says it best. Cowboy up...be a man.

leannamarie Thanks this.
  10. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    DANC.....................only one response for you sir.........:biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514:

oh yeah that's 2....oh well you get the point...........LOL

11. tnccrutcher

tnccrutcher Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Hayward,Ca
    What Comany do you work for? could you send me info on them I live in bayarea,Ca do they have anything around here? Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.