What is your worst experience you have had in your driving career?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Switcher, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    That was known as "JBHunt, You're Shower For 3 Is Ready!"

Speed_Drums and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fishonron

fishonron Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    For me my worst experience was living in a box for a month with some dude I've never met (the trainer).

It wasn't because he was an unlikeable guy but he spent most of his time on the phone with his girlfriend and I got to listen to all of their lovey dovey bs all day long.

"Lovey dovey" was the easy part, at night this guy pissed into a jug multiple times, he was quite but I got woke up to the smell of his steaming piss as I was on the top bunk.

I couldn't handle it and after about half way in and since I got to choose where we stopped for the night I made sure there was a motel within eyeshot of the truck stop and I started getting a room every night.

Then two years in and then this incident on the 54 in TX which I wasn't to fond of. The same thing happened on 54 two more times but they were in daylight. (jump to 1:00 mark)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    Reason for edit: Got my timeline messed up.
  4. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
    That guy had to have seen you coming.

JoeyJunk and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    That was a Lucky break that the shoulder of the road was flat at that place on hy 54?

nredfor88 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  6. fishonron

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    You can't tell in the video but there is a slight curve in the road there and a house blocking the line of sight too so I doubt that he seen me when he started the pass.

JoeyJunk and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  7. fishonron

Jul 25, 2017
    North Central Kansas
    Lucky for sure.
    There's a lot of the 54 with no shoulder.
    That shoulder likely saved a life or two that night.

JoeyJunk and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'd say it was the time I mistakenly took a Friday load before Super Bowl Sunday, delivering at 0500 to Meijer Foods in Tipp City Ohio the following Monday.

So, I had to leave the house right about game time Sunday evening. I promptly ran my truck out of fuel somewhere in KY on i-75 because my fuel sender was toast and I was noob enough to be trusting the gauge and not the miles. Couldn't get road service because, naturally, it was Super Bowl Sunday and everyone I called mysteriously didn't have anyone who could come out (everyone was liquored up).

After I eventually got a Love's about 50 miles away to bring me some fuel I rolled to the next Flying J only to discover that my LF steer had about 20 psi in it. Somehow I didn't feel this, I just noticed it when I pulled in for fuel. Flying J had all of their outside air turned off for the winter, because, you know, air freezes.

I rolled in to the Meijer staging lot about 0300 on a blown clock to find approximately 600 trucks in a parking lot built for 50, all stacked like cordwood. I just parked right in the middle and went to sleep, utterly exhausted.

Woke up 30 minutes before appointment time and crept to the gate, waited in line to get in and got signed in by security at 0501, one minute 'late' for the appointment. I got a door right away and they started me, I went back to sleep. The idiot unloading me was a jerk to everyone around him and they wouldn't help him (I was told after by 'management') and he took until 1300 to unload my truck. 8 hours.

I left there and went and bought a new Michelin steer and the day got better until this lousy ### broker I was running for refused to pay one dime of detention because, technically, I was one minute late. My explanation of the line at the gate, Macropoint he could see, etc. did nothing to sway him. First broker and DC to hit my DNU list.

I don't care if it was a fluke, I'll never go back to Meijer in Tipp City again.

Sorry for the long post, but the OP asked.

9. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Tell them shat they want to hear. Worst experience in your carrier was when you let down your employer but it was minor and you fixed it right away, never repeated since. Still having nightmares about it.

Switcher and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    My trainer peed in a jug while I was driving. I didn't think anything about it at the time. I thought it was just something that truck drivers normally did. In a way, I was right.

Edit: Just to clarify. He was observing from the passenger seat then would step back into the sleeper area without closing the curtains. Not when he was in the sleeper with the curtains closed.

11. Harry Flashman

Harry Flashman Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Sudden snowstorm on I-80 in Wyoming, I said stuff this and shut down early knowing it would make me late for delivery.

My choice to shut down also caused to me to miss a pileup of dozens of vehicles that killed a few people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.