what it takes to open truck driving school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by pavrom, Apr 29, 2012.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    just wondering?
    people pay alot of money , i heard between 2800 to $4500
    i talked pretty much with immigrants (like myself) who did not gain anything from that schools besides some basics
    i personally never been at school , started car hauling in august of 2011 with 2010 ford (garbage) and ez4 kaufman , read cdl book , passed my exams test 1st time , skill test 2nd(not my fault) , road test 1st , pretrip 2nd (did not know this test was existing:)
    month ago got my air brakes endorsement ... again all the tests , but all from 1st time with driving my 2007 volvo daycab only maybe 35 hours.
    i am not pretending to be pro or call myself smart ...it was just easy for me.
    if the group has 20 people , everyone can do the math :)
    so as the title says ...
    if anyone familiar with licensing , permits...etc

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    First of all, you've got to know what you are doing. Not just having the ability to drive, but the ability to teach others how to drive. You've got to be knowledgeable enough about the trucks, the job, and the industry to answer whatever questions get asked by your students.

If you want to provide 3rd party testing, you've got to be certified by the state.

If you want your students to have any hope for finding a job after they complete your "school", you've got to have carriers who trust that you are teaching your students what they want their new-hires to know. This will likely involve some sort of accreditation or certification from some organization which will ensure your school meets certain standards.

You've got to have trucks. Trailers. A yard big enough to perform the range activities. A building for the classroom portion of the class. Several types of insurance....building, property, vehicles....every aspect of the school is going to have some sort of insurance policy protecting you if a student (or anyone else) should get hurt.

....and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot more to it than you think.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Don't you also need trks and trls?

5. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    Nah, I've heard you can set up a virtual driving machine with a big flatscreen and a shifter, steering wheel, and pedals, a couple screens for mirrors, with software installed to run like a video game.

NightWind and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    Can you read?

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    thank you for tips anyway

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    THE POINT IS :
    if you collect $50-75k 60 days thats a lot of money to play with even if you have to hire people to teach(i can do myself many things..ofcourse not all) , buy equipment , rent space... etc- should be enough leftover
    on the other side for me as a car hauler in order to make $12k mothly take a lot of work , attention , patience + 13-14k miles , not seeing my beautiful wife for approx 20 days (not straight...4-5 days in a row) , not having regular sex , good food and enjoying my bimmer + other stuff

csmith1281 Thanks this.
  9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    You are forgetting about the investment you have to put out for the trucks, trailers, building, yard, fuel, insurance (waivers aren't enough...you have to have actual insurance), etc...

Anyone you hire is going to have to be paid.

If you offer no job placement assistance and no carriers accept your school as proof of training, NOBODY is going to want to fork over their hard earned cash for your school.

Bottom line, if it were as easy as you seem to think it is to start up a school, everybody and their mother would be doing it.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    If you offer no job placement assistance and no carriers accept your school as proof of training, NOBODY is going to want to fork over their hard earned cash for your school. -
    ..........................................................................................................
    first time i hear this kind of stuff - i know atleast 10 people after school just started looking for work , the only problem - no one wants to have driver w/o experience
    never heard of offering job after school , or accreditation
    common man ..this is not cambridge full of business people or attorney where they expect to be hired with high pay and reputable company are looking for them...not truck drivers....
    just open newspaper , look how many ads , too many companies looking for drivers and they dont care (ofcourse they do at certain point) , they need good drivers but they are always willing to take unexperienced driver for low pay and if he is really good driver offer him competetive salary
    as far as other expenses , same trucking business - need rig trailer insurance ....other not that much expensive

Bottom line, if it were as easy as you seem to think it is to start up a school, everybody and their mother would be doing it.[/QUOTE]

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    smart ### so sorry I even asked plz forgive me.Maybe if you shortened your post a bit I would have caught it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.