What kind of ac compressor is this, need to replace it? (pics)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by nikmirbre, May 26, 2022.

1. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yep!!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Now the fun part...... Like @xsetra mentioned I dont need a big truck shop to change out the parts. Any place that does AC will do. So, Saturday im riding around town going by places to see if they could do the work for me. Most places(little guys) not open on Saturday. My last stop I went by Firestone Auto and he said company policy is they cant change parts they didnt sell me. Low on options, I know im going through Columbia SC on my way to Savannah Monday, so I jump on the app Sunday after church and make an appointment at the Petro. NOT my ideal place but I dont wanna cook this week without AC.

Petro calls me Sunday around dinner time and said they wont have a tech that does AC in until 4pm Monday(Before I went on the app and made appointment I called the shop to verify). I told her I know I spoke to her earlier in the day, she thought it was for Sunday, I said no, Monday. So I arrive Sunday afternoon about 4:15 and was told by the SAME woman that no, we won't have a Tech until Tuesday 7am. I told her never mind!!! So, this morning while loading in Savannah I get a call from the tech telling me to drop my trailer and pull into the bay LOL.

However, after I told her never mind I went out of my way to the Speed/Loves at exit 108 on 95. They get me right in hook up machine to vacuum freon. An hour goes by and the guy realizes the machine is broke and needs service.:( So I leave and make my way to Savannah to sleep for the night. I get loaded this morning and its hot. I had to tarp a 12ft load and no relief after doing so. So I load up and stop by the Loves on 95 exit 38 in Yemassee SC.

I wait 5 hours(which was fine). at 230 they call me in the shop. I pull into the bay, they break the machine out and away we go. He goes to change a starter in the parking lot while the machine does its thing. I finally go grab something to eat and come back and sit in the lobby of the shop. The guy comes back about 3:15 and says I have a leak and the machine wont vacuum it down...I say WHAT?????? He reiterates that the clutch stopped working because of a freon leak. He says something to the affect of "yeah thats what happens in the clutch stops working when there is a freon leak". His machine cant vacuum because there is a leak somewhere.......and he says he has to leave because he has something medical to go to.......and walks off. I close my hood, I didnt even check to see if there was a bill and if there was I would not have given them a dime!!!! I close my hood and back out and leave.

So now im at the TA in Wytheville VA....hopefully get in changed I the morning.

BTW, my APU has worked prefect in the almost 2 years ive had it(minus changing the alternator last year) and when I went to use it last night, it ran for about 10 minutes and then shut its self off, red triangle and ALT sign lit up.:( So I slept in the heat inn Savannah last night. I tried to run it as I was tarping and it kept doing the same thing. But, during the 5 hour wait at Loves it ran the whole time. Im parked now and its been running a good hour straight. Looks like ill be sleeping good this evening........

Rideandrepair, spsauerland and xsetra Thank this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I just finished today, getting my dash, bunk and apu ac systems working top notch. Ready to run to Texas and Florida now.
    Good luck with yours. This time of year it's needed to sleep overnight.

Rideandrepair and nikmirbre Thank this.
  5. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yep thats what I have the APU for. I cant sleep with the truck running. I was ok riding with the windows down besides not being to hear my radio or CB. I ran into 3 major back ups all in SC. Around the 25 mm on 95 they had a body in the median covered up, no accident idk what happened. Then at the 55mm a sign saying left lane is closed at the 62....it was backed up from the 55 to the 62, I went around it. Then the other on 77 in NC......

Rideandrepair and xsetra Thank this.
  6. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    After only an hour in the shop at the TA Wytheville, I have AC!!!!!!!!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Probably fine, but i prefer to draw vacuum for at least 30 min and at least a 30 min window to check for leaks, maybe get it vacced and checked at your leisure later?

nikmirbre and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Well it took all of 10 minutes to replace the compressor, the rest was drawing it down and then after changing was letting truck run for about 20 minutes to check for leaks.

This is something id like to do myself in the future.....ive seen the vacuum machines at harbor freight...not saying I would get one from there but what can I expect to pay for a good machine?

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I don't know if you're opposed to the idea, but you can get a set of gauges and a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight for about a buck-twenty. Cans of freon are six dollars at the local parts house. With a machine, you're looking at initial cost, plus I was just told the big bottles just jumped from $90 to $350 per bottle. In my personal opinion, a machine with a big bottle is way overkill unless you're going to service other people's trucks as a side gig.

spsauerland and nikmirbre Thank this.
  10. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yeah I forgot about the big bottle. I just would like something to vacuum down and recharge.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I would get just a vacuum pump and gauges then. Also need a petcock fitting that connects to the feed line on the gauges, and goes to the can of freon. They typically sell them in the same section as where the little bottles are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.