what kind of mpg do you get?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jlkklj777, Jan 31, 2008.

1. tirexpress

tirexpress Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Montreal, QC
    Then ...why the hell are you driving for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I have thought about purchasing the scangaugekr but, I am driving a 2012 Freightliner Coronado with a S60 12.7 Det, 13sp single over and 355's rears. I have a full gauge package, that includes boost and pyro. My truck has the display on the dash. The main screen shows the streamer that goes up and down as you press or release the fuel peddle, or go up or down hills. If I hit the "fuel" button a screen shows up with total gallons used and avg mph. This avg mph changes sporadically, sometimes quickly and sometimes very slowly. If I get the scangaugekr, it will simply be a verification tool. What do you all think?

When I have the time, I drive very slow and keep the boost below 20psi, go 57mph and put the trans in direct drive. I have also started to use my foot instead of cruise to control going up hills. I also drop down to whatever gear allows me to pass if needed while going up hill, and keep the boost below 20psi.

4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Why even talk about it? Dont bother, especially with the Kevin Rutherford junk. He is mainly aimed at flease operators, who know no better. Sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what things go on in a motor to make it go down the road efficiently to me.

Martin

Cetane+ and MJ1657 Thank this.
  5. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    KR doesn't like the lease purchase scams.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  6. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Before valve lash adjustment, was 5.16 mpg. After: 5.73 mpg.

7. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    The factors with most influence is probably going to be driving style and idle time. I followed a driver in a 379, C15/475 ungoverned truck that was averaging in the mid-5s (~as did the 12 truck fleet), I got mid-7s out of it. He was pissed when I left.

8. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Hmm, by what I read about his stupid and obvious statements, I figured that most O/O's would know all that already.
    My bad if that isn't the case, although the vast majority of his "customers, followers, etc" seem to be the flease guys.

Martin

9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    You already have all the information on your dash. If it's displayed in a location and fashion that gets the job done, maybe you don't need another device. My truck doesn't have a similar mpg display, although it has the full gauge package minus a pyro (what a thing for the original buyer to cheap out on). Problem is those gauges are in an awkward location, low and to the right. The scangauge sits just off my line of sight. That would be the only additional benefit for you I could see, provided the built in display is showing all the data points you want/need to see.

Wow. Slam a potentially good buy just because KR put his signature on a version of it? Have you used one? Even the ScangaugeD, without the KR anything in it, that you can get at a camper store?

I'm not a huge fan of KR's technical aptitude (which is clearly directed at sales), but I don't let that get in the way of hearing about interesting products on the market and doing my own research. Sorry, but the Scangauge, even the KR version, is an exception. The device itself is brilliant in it's simplicity. The only value I see with the KR version is the smoothing of the instant mpg to an 8 sec rolling average. I didn't buy it for the instant profit Bee Ess you can program it to calculate. The 4 values I have displayed on mine all the time are turbo boost, speed, instant mpg, avg mpg. Having those data points in a three square inch display right at the edge of my line of sight helps me a great deal. The bonus came when I used it to scan codes and diagnosed/replaced a sensor myself, saving at least $150 labor + parts markup at a service shop. The thing paid for itself that one time, never mind the mpg improvements it's helped me gain through fine tuning my driving habits. That is, over and above what I was already trying to do with the built in gauges.

10. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I have an actual code reader that displays a little more detail than a Scangauge, so it's only use to me is nothing. I dont need a machine to "teach" me how to drive efficiently. Mind, grossing @100k lbs on a regular basis, hauling oversize loads, it would probably do next to nothing for me anyways.
    As far as owning one, never. As far as using one in another vehicle, yes. I still found it all but useless then too.
    I come from a country where diesel was $5 a gallon, in 1999. Driving efficiently is second nature, as well as common sense in my experience

Martin

RedForeman Thanks this.
  11. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    My 2010 Volvo 780 w/ D13 engine & automatic 12 speed transmission got 9-10 mpg running 55 mph.

My 2014 Freightshaker Cascadia Evolution (sounds fancy, right?) with a DD15 (eh, I think), 10 speed stick gets 7.8 mph at 67 or 8.5 at 55.

gpsman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.