what kind of mpg do you get?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by jlkklj777, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    6.5 MPG, Yrly avg.snow rain sleet and wind, Pete w/extended hood 475 CAT 15 over, 91 top speed, covered wagon, convertible to flatbed at times, we run 80 mph out west in any 75 spd zone. I figure my time is worth the extra fuel to make up for fuel used. I can't imagine starting up Cabbage or Emigrant in a 60 MPH truck w/300hp. Thats stoopid. I top it at about 50.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

6.5mpg on a 1000mi run is 154 gallons = 724 bucks if fuel is 4.7 a gallon.
    make some changes...here there (even an aero truck).
    8mpg on a 1000mi run is 125 gallons = 588. 136 bucks in savings on just one trip.
    12.5 hours at 80mph if you drove straight.
    16.6 hours at 60mph if you drove straight.
    only four hours.
    136 / 4 = 34 bucks an hour you earn by driving slower.

now...lets say you drive 100k miles a year. multiply 136bucks times 100.
    An extra 13,600 dollars by driving slower. And we know that most drivers drive more than 100k miles to the savings would be even larger.

And yes...some people will say that by driving fster, you can get some more loads. Granted, that might be true. But they are thinking about the income before expenses. Where as the 13,600 figure is extra money in the pocket. Youd have to take a very large number of extra loads to get the extra 13,600 in profit.

Baack and Andrew Thank this.
  4. jlkklj777

jlkklj777 20 Year Truckload Veteran

Oct 1, 2007
    Duncannon, Pa

The only problem with your logic is the HOS regs that make it illegal to drive more than 11 hours straight. Get some time sensitive loads and drive them at the slower speed and you will soon find yourself making late deliveries and losing customers or losing the run altogether. Run illegal and sooner or later you will get popped either by a dot audit or an officer that takes extra time to research your trips based on toll records, prepass checkpoints or time stamped bills.

Now if you want to run team all the time then by all means slow down as much as you like. Your sleeping partner will appreciate the ride in the back at the slower speed more than running as fast as you can.

5. 24valve puller

24valve puller Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    N.E. Oh

6. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

Absolutely right. Its very unlikely by driving faster that you haul enough more freight in 1 yr to cover that $13,000.

JIT freight there might be a point to that, but MOST OF US DO NOT haul JIT on a regular basis.

7. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I don't really see a problem with my logic, lol. THen again, thats just me :p

When I said driving straight, I meant that it will take you 12.5 hours. Either way, you aren't legally going to make a 1000 mile run in one day and are going to have to stop, no matter the speed. And like Brickman said, how many run loads that are that extremely time sensitive? Especially a possible four hour later window.

And with all of that, THATS just with driving straight. Thats not going to happen. Not only the required breaks, but fueling, construction...la de dah...the time gap between the speeds with all the combined elements could actually shrink.

Plus average speeds. What are the average speeds. Even if you drive at 80, your average isn't going to be at 80. there are a ton of 55mph construction zones on my route now and with that, we would then be driving neck and neck. Shrinking the window even more.

8. Cerberus

Cerberus Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    i drive a piece of crap frieghtliner that is governed at 70 and i get 6.6 to 6.5 mpg. it varies from day to day. thing is i just don't idle at all.

9. 89t6

89t6 Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2008
    mn
    89 kw, 3406, 13 spd, 342 rears, and average is 6.8 with a skateboard. Running mostly upper midwest. speed usualy at 62-63.

10. Andrew

Andrew Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I drove for Swift (tuned down engines) I got according to my manager - 7.3mpg on 2001 Columbia Detroit S60, 460hp - 1800lbs. torque ?, Eaton 8 speed, avg. 60mph (tops 65mph), weight medium (up to 80000lbs.). Then 4.5mpg-5mpg on 2008 Volvo, Cummings 400hp - 1400lbs. torque ?, Eaton 10 speed, everything else the same, both with sleeper cab. Tune down power to the point you cannot pull a full load uphill and you kill the MPGs.
    Some experienced drivers told me they got 7-8mpg on Volvo and 9-10mpg on Frieghtliner,
    it's a very small peak between the right average speed and the power vs. load ratio that's
    going to always get you top mpg, not hard to find, but not easy, takes time.

11. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    WOW - please tell me where I can get one' a them 8mpg Wonder Wagons! 6.5 is a very real world number, a day in and day out all weather, all terrain number... just like he said. It's not a fantasy number like 8mpg someone got once with a 35mph tailwind on I-10 in west Texas with a 6,000lb LTL in a smooth side van. At 55mph.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.