What kind of tech stuff do you guys do?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LtlAnonymous, Feb 3, 2022.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Now is a great time to sell, that's for sure. You will get a little bit more money for it right now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I came across an Amazon product yesterday, not sure if I will purchase it. It is a dongle that has attachments for an outside antenna for AM/FM Marine and Aviation as well as police radio with the proper software. I am not that much into the police radio because, to be honest, most of that is now digital and encrypted. In about a month I will be living alone again. I am giving some serious thought to purchasing this product!

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    So you don’t want the police band so you mainly want a radio or is marine and aviation going to be beneficial?

5. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    To be honest, at least it's my understanding that the police band is digital for the most part and unavailable. I am more interested in the aviation band. I have a handheld aviation transceiver that will tune in VORs. I bought that thing a long time ago. I used to use it as a backup comm when I was still flying! It does still work. I just tightly control it because it can be used illegally. Not illegal to own one as long as you use it legally. Here is an example of one sold on Amazon!

6. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have been using LIVEATC for a couple of years now. I can track almost all civilian airband freq as well as the air route control centers. Even some of the airport ATIS can be heard. What I don't like about it is the delay and the fact they black out the military towers. I can pick up 125.0 Langley AFB CT on my handheld, but liveatc blocks it. Also, this system is not internet dependent.

8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Somehow these notifications slipped past me. Did you end up getting it? It sounds cool as hell.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    So my latest adventure is GrapheneOS on my phone. It's a privacy-hardened vanilla Android ROM. Installed it on a Pixel 6.

The change has been a little time-consuming, finding open source alternatives to most of my apps, and then APKs for the stuff I couldn't live without.

There's a thing called the Aurora store that lets you anonymously use the Google Play Store API, but I'm just trying stay away from them for as much as I can. If any company could insert spy code into an app, it would be Google.

So F-Droid for most things, developers APKs for other stuff, and apkmirror.com for a couple dregs. While I don't love APK sites, that one has been around for years and people speak well of it.

Battery life has been quite good without all the incessant spying. I'm not a privacy nut so much as I am a simplicity nut. I only want my device doing what I tell it to do.

Surveillance capitalism kills battery life in addition to being complete and utter ########. That's why Windows 11 requires you to have such new equipment.

"We wanna spy on you constantly, but we don't wanna hear no WHINING about how slow your #### is!" No thanks, I'll be on Linux.

10. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    Here is some food for thought. When you update a Linux distro it is done in seconds. When updating Windows why does it take sometimes hours? Is it because upload speed is a lot slower?

MidWest_MacDaddy and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I hated the first iPhone I had. But needed it for my first driving gig. When that ended I sold it. Then my second one set the Hook lol. Now I'm totally addicted to tge dam things.
    And I know one thing, if you don't keep up with tech stuff even basic items like a tv, you will get left behind quickly.

MidWest_MacDaddy and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.