What large trucking companies still use paper logs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RandomChick, Dec 11, 2013.

1. RedFalcon94

RedFalcon94 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Where are you located?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Finalsomnia

Finalsomnia Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Woodstock, GA
    About three years in the past, if you look when she posted it.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  4. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    U make very valid points another option to consider is putting more on the rails as well. Yes it will line many pockets when installing these on trucks but also slow down the market on what trucks can haul

The only 2 exemptions are for short haul and 8 days in a 30 day period and 99 and older year models. I sometimes wonder if they just don't want us all running short haul for tracking and control purposes.

It's just another theory to think about. Sorry if it's hard to read cut my thumb had to wrap it and I'm typing from my phone.

5. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    No problem, 379exhd. The trend for the last several years has been to move more drivers to doing regional runs rather than the typical long haul. Rail is almost at capacity, the last time I checked. There are a number of mega carriers who continue using rail for the western U.S. But, they cannot meet the travel times of trucks. Rail might be less expensive, but when something is time sensitive, you cannot use rail. It also takes a long time to build more rails. I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. Robotics is one way to keep trucks moving around the clock. Another is to use more teams. But, teams are not practical needed for short haul. I don't see a way to eliminate the flesh and blood drivers anytime in the near future. Some drivers have left the industry since elogs have become more prevalent.

6. RedFalcon94

RedFalcon94 Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2013
    lol

7. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    E logs are just another way of them dumbing down the industry. The megas simply can't find good drivers capable of running a log book and keeping track of where they stop and hours available.

8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    I believe Werner and CR England were the first companies to use E-Logs. I remember ten years ago one of Werner's catch phrases to recruit new drivers was " no more paper-electronic logging system."

I believe their objective was not to dumb down the industry but rather to force O/O's and the five truck shows out of business.

BoostedTeg Thanks this.
  9. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    There are guys where I work that use some sort of logging app on there phones and email it I guess

10. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    BigRoad is one of them. It's a nice app for those of us who struggle with legible handwriting, but leaves the "flexibility" loose leaf offers...

WitchingHour and Canned Spam Thank this.
  11. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    The trainer said it so it has to be true!

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.