What made YOU successful as an owner operator??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by smctransferllc, Dec 22, 2011.

1. " OPTIMUS PRIME "

" OPTIMUS PRIME " Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Driver Seat
    Simply the fact that I haven't became an o/o yet.:biggrin_25522: lol

Especially according to some....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truck609

Truck609 Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Arizona
    Successful as in financially I assume? Its all about controlling costs on both ends. Make as much as you can (yes you have to really mean it when you say no to cheap freight) and pay as little as possible. Every dollar really does add up fast in this business.

4. Cowmobile

Cowmobile Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    The hammer lane....
    Pretty much what everyone else has already said, for me it's not hauling anything for cheap and building a good reputation, I don't Have to use brokers or loadboards because of that, reputation is evrything, people are willing to pay me well because they know I will get the job done, many many repeat customers and adding new ones all the time just from word of mouth so much so I'm strongly considering buying another truck and rack after the new year to keep up... It's amazing how successful you can be just by being honest and trustworthy, having a good attitude, and will get the job done whatever it takes..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Wings2Wheels and Higgy Thank this.
  5. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Don't be afraid of the word "no".......Be able to say it and don't let it discourage you when you hear it.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  6. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    What a bunch a down right politically correct fluff..... Like we all PLANNED on being successful.

I was too dumb to know how to fail... failure was/is not an option, and a whole lot of luck.

I learned long ago that to find someone that was doing well and pick his mind and see what it is he's doing that is making him successful that you can use.

Don't haul cheap freight... Hauling at cost is just that, at COST.!!!

losttrucker Thanks this.
  7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    losttrucker said it right, Don't be afraid to say "NO" to cheap freight. Many new O/O's want to build a reputation and take everything to haul without realizing that the broker's will take advantage of this. You will earn and get respect down the road for using the word NO when needed. It's not easy and it takes time to build your reputation, the key is to get the LOAD there on time.

Mommas_money_maker and Gears Thank this.
  8. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Who says I'm successful?

biker dave Thanks this.
  9. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    A good point has been made here. Haul cheap freight and that will soon become your reputation. Not a good thing.

10. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I will never consider myself successful until I win the lottery......because until then the bills still have to be paid, and I still have to work to pay them LOL

11. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    You need to define what success is to you. I used to think success was making the most money. That attitude left me feeling a bit unfulfilled and empty from staying out 2 and 3 months at a time chasing the rates.

Another thing that took me a long time to get through my thick skull is - the money is made by the trailer and the money is spent by the truck. Controlling those 2 things go a long way toward financial success.

SHC, Higgy, rollin coal and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.