What obligation does shipper have for packaging loads?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Qbf594, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    If anyone can link laws or protocols regarding the legal obligations a shipper has for safe packaging of loads I'd really appreciate it.
    This particular instance had fairly large (size of my hand) chunks of 1/4" plate steel remnants laid on a pallet of other steel fabricated parts that was then heavily shrink wrapped. It wasn't possible to see thru the plastic and the shards were only visible once they had dropped vertical between the plastic and the pallet base. There were other hidden landmines inside these wrapped pallets but that's a good place to start.
    Is there any legal punishment for this shipper? I'm furious...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    What’s the issue? Nothing Illegal about it, once it’s on your truck it’s your responsibility. We haul loads like that all the time, did you have some fall off in transit? CD90CFEF-BB18-4A97-ABE4-48FDABE0A7E3.jpeg 3E1D7E50-9882-4AB7-8BE7-5B6801B588AE.jpeg 5E216A7C-5688-40E8-993B-EE2C50B2DF5C.jpeg

Pamela1990, skellr and Kyle G. Thank this.
  4. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    I guess once you’ve signed for it, it’s yours to haul. You could’ve inspected it better before you let them put it on your trailer. I guess I’m one of the nosiest mfr’s you’ve never met. I like to know exactly what’s on my wagon. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that’s what I got to say about that.

5. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    If there was a claim against you then refuse the claim on the grounds of poor packaging and have the shipper be billed accordingly. You should also have your excess time recorded on the POD and that time should billed to the shipper. You only have a small chance of collecting but if the company you work can collect great, if not then you can ask for work/waiting time if you haul that load again.

6. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    20211024_183107.jpg
    I feel that leaving something like this floating loose behind a wall of saran wrap is criminal level disregard for public safety. I'd never have seen them if nor for other pieces shifting inside the same bundle

7. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Those all look like things I've dealt with previously and packed in reasonable ways. Other parts of this load are normal steel banded bent steel fabrications one might expect to move. It's just the various pallets that I have issues with

clausland, singlescrewshaker and cke Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I’m always skeptical of a pallet with pallet wrap going on a flatbed. It’s fine for a van or a tarped load but danger on an open flatbed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    JbHettel, D.Tibbitt, clausland and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    That does seem pretty negligent on the shipper... probably some idiot’s first day on the job. That said, I’m not sure how they can be held legally responsible if you signed for it.

10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Another reason I had over 67,000 pictures on my old phone. Anything questionable I take a picture of just in the event it separates or comes out of the packaging as it seems to have done to you….?

Most…. “MOST” warehouse and forklift operators are dummer than a sled track, therefore I watch them closely! And as @cke said I eyeball everything before it goes on my trailer.

Those particular pieces you are showing would have been better suited in a contained pallet or bin…… but like I said, most warehouse workers……

D.Tibbitt, cke, clausland and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.