What percentage of people make it

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jay_Pull, May 19, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I don't know abot it being women, from what I have experienced men seem to whine and complain more than the women that drive, I am sure a lot of them don't make it either though. I know at least one woman swift driver that didn't but she didn't get the chance to quit either. lol

Lepton1 and Jay_Pull Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    One thing to bear in mind is that local does not necessarily mean quality home time. Case in point I could have done local home every day but it would have meant working 14 hour days 6 days a week plus driving 30 minutes back and forth from and to home each way. So basically I would have been home just long enough to sleep and then go back to work. My one day off I would have been sleeping all day. I decided to do OTR even though I am out 25 days at a time. At least this way when I do come home I am home for 5-6 days and can actually be rested and have some quality time with the family.

Lepton1 and 201 Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    true fact...when i had attended that truck driving school way back in the oxen cart days..??

one student drove in and parked his (yes) brand new BMW in the student parking lot.

when he heard of the hours worked, pay, long times from home, at coffee break time, he got in his BMW< and drove off, never to been seen again...

so yeah, that's another reason, rich boy thinking he was gonna get richer, driving a truck .....lol

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree

i think i can respond to that like this...

being such one "older person" when i got behnd the wheel, we are/were from different generations of parents.

my late dad for example, actually worked, digging ditches, and other 'general labor" from the time he got married, till he retired.

back in HIS time, no man went job hopping, once hired someplace, they STAYED until they retired or died.

so that mind set, is ingrained in thier offsprings, which is why i was a wrencher for many years, THEN got into trcuking for nearly nearly triple the years as a wrencher.

people my age/generation just didn't continually switch out careers, but maybe switched out EMPLOYERS with in that industry.

todays youth ( i say from the 1980's to well, maybe now), what instant gratification and "participation trophies" for just being on this planet......

many simply DO NOT KNOW or care to know what work really is.......

Lepton1, Jay_Pull and 201 Thank this.
  6. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    My class in school started around 60. We lost a third right away (drug test), then the second third trickled out along the way for whatever reason. There were 20 or so at the end, and some failed the test the first time. I have no idea how many others stuck with it 16 years later, but considering how many people come up to me and say how they used to drive truck and got out of it for a variety of reasons, I'd guess maybe 15% actually stay in the profession long-term.

I myself was ready to quit around 13 years ago when I decided I was going to do something else if I couldn't find a local job. I have been in a day cab ever since.

Jay_Pull Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Truckermania has a good point. I was always a regional driver, and I had friends OTR that got more rest than I did. Today with the silly HOS rules, drivers probably get too much rest, which is probably a good thing. With local stuff, every stop was a potential hassle, adding hours of non-driving time to the day. buddyd has a good point too. Nothing sacred today, people jump ship if the boss mentions about them being late. I've had more trucking jobs than I can remember, but it was always trucking. One thing for sure, it's going to get a lot worse, before it gets better, if ever. People just don't have those kind of morals like us or our parents. They don't have to. They aren't struggling like our parents did.

Lepton1, Truckermania and Jay_Pull Thank this.
  8. Gutter

Gutter Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2018
    Duluth, Mn
    I started at 21 years old and I’m 50 now. Did a local gig for 3 years in the late 90’s. Other than that I’ve been OTR.

I still love it but maybe not quite as much as I used to. Like all of us know trucking is a double edged sword if you’re married with kids. I’ve been sad and lonely and happy as a clam.

I would like to think 50% stick around in trucking but I’m probably way off. I’ll keep doing it until I can’t pass my physical I guess. Lol. It’s been an interesting life for sure.

Truckermania and Jay_Pull Thank this.
  9. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Probably because the road is one big sausagefest

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That and it seems like this new breed sits behind the wheel thinking of all the stuff they can whine about.
    Anybody that isn't a complete total screwup can make a living driving a truck, and it is readily apparent if a guy spends any ten minutes around a group of drivers.. I am not saying that there is not plenty to gripe about in this business, but I am talking about little things. I can't understand why somebody would stay in any profession that they are miserable or where they don't think they are treated right. Some gripe about life itself. lol

11. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It really depends on you. If your in the habit of changing jobs and not sticking with it, you probably wont be able to cope with the demands, Yet if your a person that knows your going to pay the bills if you keep at it and dont mind being away from home? The job will be great.

Alas for me I have been out of the truck too long 10+ years. So now I need a refresher to get back in, unless I own. Yet to me, having a job that means I didnt need to drive home at night (IE bed is 8 feet away), is a real plus.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.