What printer are you using in the truck??

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tj379, Oct 6, 2022.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Works always. No ink. It's a thermal printer. Black,white and gray print.
    It's at least 10 years old.
    It does use special paper on rolls. It's not expensive. I've only bought paper online.
    Good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    If I didn't need to print delivery bills for blind shipments now and then, I'd get rid of my printer. The last few I've bought have been Epsons. I like the software better than the rest, and they've held up to getting beat up in the truck ok. The one I'm on right now is 4 yrs old or so. The only thing wrong is the doc feeder for the scanner has something going on I'm too lazy to dig in to.

One thing I used to do in my old truck, where the printer was easy to get at, was print yesterday's logbook page each day. Keeps the ink from drying out and you already got a paper backup in hand just in case. Current truck I stow the printer in a cabinet so don't do that anymore since it's now a hassle to set up and take down. If I go more than a few days without printing a rate confirmation or something, I just go into settings and clean the nozzles first.

I also got one of their new ecotank models for home. Of course it's more expensive up front since they aren't making it up on cartridges. If it holds up ok, I may get one for the truck.

FWIW I never had an inkjet leak. Printheads dried out yes, but not leaks.

I used to work for HP, in a department unrelated to printers, so that's what I started with. Their software is barely adequate, and their printers are the least durable to getting beat up in a truck in my experience.

Also worth noting, where I live and would park more than a day, it rarely gets below freezing, much less sub zero. If I'm somewhere that cold, the heater is on or the bunk heater is blazing. The laser printer and that thermal cop model seem like ideal options if cold is a problem.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had one in the Truck for a short time. It somehow survived a temper tantrum, and being thrown against the wall, lol. I wait till I get home to print off a copy of rate cons, for a physical record, stapled to the BOL. Contracts stay on the phone. If I ever need a hard copy, it’s there, in the email. There’s a better way, maybe a storage card. Works for me. Inks always dried up in printer. Sometimes it won’t print, I figured out sometimes the screenshot rate con needs to be darkened first,

5. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    I do the same. Used to have a printer in the truck a few years ago, but never had a situation crop up that I couldnt wait until I got home to print it.

Ive had cops look at my bills and insurance info off my phone and that was good enough, so I really had no need to print them. I still have one in the truck "just in case" but frankly I would be surprised if it still works.

6. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I've been using cheap Canon inkjets, mainly because the paper and output trays are both on the front and that lets me slide it against the firewall. Being in a carhauler, space is at a premium, I don't really have room in the sleeper for a laser, plus I don't run the bigger inverter those often need.

lilillill Thanks this.
  7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Agreed I bought one when I first started and only used it a few times then went all digital.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  8. RefMata

RefMata Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Nogales, AZ
    I bought a HP Deskjet 3752 All-in-one inkjet about two years ago. Worked pretty good until recently, it's no longer printing anything on the papers, just blank pages come out. I've heard inkjet printers start to fail when experiencing rough handling (california roads are bumpier than a camel's back), but it still scans without any issues, so I use it to make digital copies of my bills and anything else I might need to make a record of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.