What really is a bad driving record?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OldeSkool, May 17, 2024.

1. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I’ve got two things on my CDL record. The company I recently got on with is acting like it’s a fairly big deal and I better not get busted again. I’m trying to figure out if they’re making a bigger deal out of it than it really is. Number one is a seatbelt ticket in a big truck, and number two is talking on the phone with no headset.

I’m not trying to make excuses, but I know this thread will quickly derail with people preaching at me to always use a headset. My answer is I usually always do. I had a very important phone call and my headset was not available at the time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    When I hire someone and they have a ticket on their record, I am supposed to weigh it with a formula (of sorts) to see if they can qualify for my insurance company.

Here are a general list of offenses (but not convictions) that I have to look for and the position they on a list.
    #1 - DWI/DUI and other related traffic offenses
    #2 - speeding >15 over posted
    #3 - following too close
    #4 - using a hand held device/watching a movie (I am not kidding) while driving
    #5 - seat belt and/or distracted driving
    #6 - accident while DUI/DWI (this does not preclude #1, they are seperate)
    #7 - at fault accident that includes failure to stop in a clear assured distance
    #8 - debris falling off of vehicle
    #9 - more than two equipment failure tickets for the same issue
    #10 - invalid license and/or insurance

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I don’t use a headset. BestBuy sells an RCA jack that allows you to plug your phone into the stereo on the dash. I use this with phone calls. This, however, will not charge the phone so I have another plug that connects via the USB port in the radio to charge the phone. I have wireless ear buds to use for the time I have to take a call while the phone is charging.

Forgot to add that the RCA setup allows you to speak and hear as if the person was in the truck with you.

silverspur and OldeSkool Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Ironically, those are 2 very big deals. For many big companies, those (either one), are termination events.

wis bang, FLHT and bryan21384 Thank this.
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    2 VERY big deal breakers.

I use Bluetooth to the radio

7. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    So how long do they stay on my record?

8. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Seatbelts might not seem big but it’s a major hit to a trucking company safety score I don’t have any problem with a company being strict about something so easy to do.Cell phones in hand is a major issue for you and your company

9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Tickets are for life.

How long they count for is a different story.

You can get your lifetime mvr. It'll have every ticket you've ever gotten.

10. Born2win

Born2win Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2022
    My lawyer told me do not get caught holding phone in hand... she said if so, nothing she can do for me. She said suspension at arraignment.. cell phone a big ticket here...

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Those ARE big tickets. I think the fine for the driver can be up to $2,750 and the company fine can be up to $11,000. I've known drivers fired for one of those items. Drive like the cops and the boss are always watching, not like you are in your personal car on the weekend.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.