What repairs are we allowed to do?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Motox1980, May 24, 2020.

1. Motox1980

Motox1980 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    I’m pulled over at the scale for a headlight out. I noted the defect and told them the bulb (special led part) would be waiting for me at my next stop and I’d change it there.

I was grilled about whether I was a professional certified mechanic, and when I answered no, was told that I have no right to change a headlight bulb myself.

So I’m waiting for my company mechanic 2 hours away to bring a bulb and change it.

I’ve always done things like bulbs, washer fluid pumps, gladhand seals... I can’t find any documentation online. If anybody can find the answer for me, it’d be much appreciated.

Thanks for helping.

New to forum.

Joe

BUMBACLADWAR and Ffx95 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    You can fix whatever you want. Scale goon probably has a relative with a service truck he was hoping you'd call.

4. DaytonTD

DaytonTD Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Repairs can be done by anyone. Just inspections need to be done by a certified shop

BigHossVolvo and Ffx95 Thank this.
  5. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    If you’re a company guy that repairs you’re allowed to do is up to the company. Mine doesn’t mind the easy stuff like bulbs, fuses, dot reflective tape, mud flaps, priming the fuel system on the truck or reefer and some others can’t think of right now. Saves me time and saves them money.

If you own your truck you can do what the hell you want with it. To me it sounded like the inspector has a friend or family who owns a shop and tried to steer you into there.

Blue Zombie Trucker and jason6541 Thank this.
  6. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Back in December I wheeled into the Plymouth, WA port of entry and got the red light. Turns out I blew a headlight along the way. Because of that the officer decided to do a level 3 inspection on my equipment, while she did that I replaced my headlight. She had no issue with me doing that.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Gotta wonder how many times they have heard "I'll fix it when I stop" only to see the same light out the next time they roll by.

magoo68 and Blue Zombie Trucker Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    "You dang right im a certified mechanic and could fix u a new attitude there mr scalemaster "

Blue Zombie Trucker Thanks this.
  9. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Sounds like a douche. But as mentioned above, they have heard I’ll fix it down the road a million times. Carry a spare with you.

10. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Should have said yes.

Blue Zombie Trucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    He'd probably ask for proof

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.