What size deck low bed for a 20 ton excavator?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by Dino soar, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    My brother is purchasing a low bed so that we can move his excavator.

I do not know what model excavator he has, but he tells me it's a 20 ton excavator. He said it's the largest one that you can move without a permit, but my brother is not in trucking.

I'm sure a 35 ton is fine for us because we're not buying any more large equipment, nothing larger than that for sure.

My question is, what size deck is needed to move a large excavator of that size?

I'm looking at one right now that the deck is 20 ft long. Is that long enough to put that excavator on there and put the boom down?

FerrissWheel, cke, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Yes, if you any kind of trough between the frame on the back you should be able to curl the bucket completely, stick all the way in, and lower to the deck. Watch the bucket cylinder clearance. You may need to block under the bucket linkage a bit to maintain clearance, but you should be under 13' high.

W923, Tug Toy, truckdad and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017

Thank you so much that helps.

cke, beastr123 and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    I carry (2) 6x6 Timbers especially for what Oxbow has mentioned, to raise the boom up so the cylinder doesn’t touch the deck above the front trailer axle. I Don’t have a boom trough but carry 20 ton machines with a 24’ well with no problem.

I always load with the drive sprockets to the rear of trailer as well for weight distribution.

This machine is about 10’ wide….

IMG_5418.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.