What size dump? What is to big?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by DLament, Feb 14, 2024.

1. DLament

DLament Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    So for some background, I have pulled a dump for someone before but I am looking at getting one myself. I currently pull a hopper and I would like something around 65 cubic yard to be able to still service the customers I have currently with my hopper stuff. My question is what is to big that it limits you to only being able to haul certain things. Can a loader load over the side of a trailer with 72in sides. Is a 40ft frameless to large and tippy to dump off road (in farm fields)? And so on... The trailers I've pulled in the past were a 37ft and 29ft both framed and 60in sides. Any insight on this would be helpful. I know nothing will be perfect at everything but I don't want to limit myself to much that I'm stuck in one lane of work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trashtrucker1707

Trashtrucker1707 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    I have 72 inch sides on a 102 wide 40 foot frameless and loaders get over it fine even with my bows in. As far as fields, I dump a lot of fertilizer in fields and citrus groves, just like anywhere you’d dump a frameless, the key is to be careful. It doesn’t hinder what I’m capable of doing, common sense goes a long way when dumping frameless trailers. IMG_1219.jpeg

motocross25, Cat sdp, DLament and 2 others Thank this.
  4. DLament

DLament Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Thanks for the insight, that looks like a very nice setup you have there. What's your empty weight?

5. Trashtrucker1707

Trashtrucker1707 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    32,800 full of fuel, 164 gallons, plus an APU as well.

DLament Thanks this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    It's not the size of the dump that's important, it's the quality of the potty.

7. DLament

DLament Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Does anybody know what the weight difference would be on a framed vs. frameless trailer that is specd apples to apples? (Same L,W,H)

8. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    I took a dump this morning that was too big. But then again, I ate at Love’s last night.

Opus Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.