What to charge myself per mile?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Accidental Trucker, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I can’t even begin to wrap my mind around $1.50 a mile, not for live cargo anyway. We need fresh baling twine on the truck every trip......;)

I have a tendency to love being efficient and our primary driver loves miles, and has cried “uncle” a couple of times recently. There is no “waiting for a call” that would justify a rate premium.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    LOL, We got out of the hay business in the 90's, so that price was back then. lol

4. npok

npok Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2015
    You might like figuring an hourly or daily rate. I've personally seen $90/hr charged & heard of up to about $120/hr.

My research & figuring shows $900-$1k/day seems to be a reasonable goal, depending on costs.

5. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    To be perfectly honest, you will get a million different answers from truckers on what rate they would pull it for. I might think to get the best answer for what the going rate on your load really is, pick at a broker’s brain.

6. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Occasionally I make a point of asking some local carriers if they can move a load for me. Sometimes they approach me also. Whether they move the load or not, you will have a pretty good idea where the market is.

The other way is to figure cost plus. Figure ALL your trucking costs, which you probably know anyway. Then figure what it would cost to get a premium driver to leave his job and come work for you next week You are a small carrier so you need a PREMIUM driver. A sub standard driver will make you uninsurable in a month. I might venture a WAG you're looking at $.60/mile for all miles + benefits + the employers share of all the deductions....and $2/mile to cover the trucking so over $2.60/mile cost. I would guess you're like me and Wal-Mart and everyone else.........the manufacturing business subsidizes the trucking business.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I agree with your first part, but the reason I say talk to the accountant is because how the business is arranged and how a charge to another company may be done with reducing the tax liability for the trunking part of the operation.

Setting a rate based in spot market rates seem to be self-defeating and could cheat the employee.

But again we don't know much other than wha that op posts about his business.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I did mean to not pay employees. I meant to run the trucking company so it shows a loss of profits or near loss, break even. This will offset the tax liabilities. Trucking is easy to have a loss in profit.

9. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green

Why per mile?

You have a lot of fixed variables with data to back it up - fixed # of loads, mileage, time, etc....how do you value the runs as a whole?

Given the fixed #'s, you have to adjust for fuel and profit margin of whatever you're making and selling.

I'd price it as a load - 600.00, for example - and then adjust around for spots in fuel and expected margin of goods when loaded; giving you a window (again, for example) of 600.-900.00 per/load.

Sort of a rough sliding scale per load with built-in profit sharing.

Or just go per load and give out quarterly bonuses based on the above factors, just in a three-month lump.

But I think mileage is adding some unnecessary granularity in the payment side of things. You know the loads, you know the distances, you know your costs. Where does the load need to be?

10. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    The question is a cost accounting question, not a tax accounting question. Come tax time, the CPA will assign costs based on what’s good for taxes, that’s his job. He will explain what he did and why, and I’ll sign the return.

The question here is how to account for costs fairly to the “stake holders”. The real accounting, if you will.

11. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    You made me think, that’s good. In our operation, with fixed shipping points and fixed customer locations, cost per mile and costs per load are, as you correctly point out, perfectly correlated. As a matter of fact, I use cost per load in my reconciliations.

Still, because I’m trying to benchmark the costs to the outside world, cost per mile is probably the correct measurement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.