What to do if you break down in a no cell service area with no CB

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by supergreatguy, Jan 21, 2022.

1. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky

Yayayaya Nextel! That is what they were called.
    See you know more about it than the guy that had it. I am also like your daughter apparently because I hang the hell up when I said what needed to be said. I still do that.

lilillill Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    CB is busy on the west coast also if you know the channel for the area and direction of travel.
    Channel 19 for East to West traffic.
    Channel 17 for North to South traffic down to route 46.
    Channel 15 for North to South traffic between between Lake Castaic and route 46.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  4. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    When I started being a driver, my significant other was insistent that I get a CB and a dashcam. So, to keep her happy, I got them. Probably would have ended up getting them eventually anyway, glad she insisted. Most of the time my CB stays off. Two times it is always on are during inclement weather, especially winter conditions, and while on a 2 lane highway or similar remote, non-Interstate road.
    I do run at times on roads with stretches that have no cellphone signal. So, I know a CB is the most practical way myself or another driver may be able to reach out for needed aid. Also, being governed at 65 mph and also generally having the tendency to poke along. So, I really don't want to back up other drivers who get stuck behind. If a truck comes up on me, almost always I'll try and reach them on the CB. That way, we can communicate and work together to get them around me and back on their way at their pace. When the other driver has a CB and has it on, we can usually work together and within 5 miles, if not sooner, they are around me and buzzing on. But, it's common for those without a CB to end up being stuck behind me for 30 or 40 miles, not knowing that as soon as they jump out to pass me, I'm gonna slow down so they can get around me fairly quickly.

MM71 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    You are 1 in 1,000,000. Keep fighting the good fight...

In answer to the OP question:

"Leave the gun, grab the cannolis."

Six9GS Thanks this.
  6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Thanks! I've no idea why others don't do that. It's usually pretty apparent they can and want to go faster than I'm going. Why block things up? Much rather have a faster truck in front of me and on their way than stacked up behind me.

7. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I'll see your slow down as another truck passes and raise you a shoulder ride [where legal], flash left turn signal to alert truck behind that the coast is clear, and a salute as the speed demon passes.

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Pretty easy refer back to your instincts of survival. Each situation is different. If you do not have those and rely on others to tell you how to stay alive......curl up into a ball. Kiss your starfish good bye but be happy that you will at least be a meal and become a fine turd for the creature that eats you. Cycle of life and all that jazz

nredfor88, Flint1, InTooDeep and 3 others Thank this.
  9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I tried to Google that, but there's no cell service. WTF am I supposed to do now?

wore out, Flint1, Six9GS and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    There’s ALWAYS some sort of cell phone area in the states. If you’re about to freeze or succumb to the heat you can always dial 911. Not too sure why but I think it’s either a federal requirement or an agreement with phone carriers to always let 911 work on any cell phone tower. Got to be in the middle of the woods miles away from a road for 911 to not work.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Where my shop is there is no 911 cell service... and in that area even if it does work don't depend on it being right .. because it may bounce off a cell tower 2 counties away and end up getting a ambulance from 60 miles away when the closest one is only 12 miles up the road.. I've seen this happen more than once

God prefers Diesels and Ffx95 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.