What to do if you're being sued - 2 years after accident?

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by tbrown_sd, Feb 5, 2017.

1. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    No he isn't as the insurance company is not a defendant and is not even mentioned in lawsuit.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    But they will jump in because they will end up paying in and usually turn it into a counter suit.

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yes, the OP was covered by the carrier's insurance. However, the OP is no longer working for the carrier. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit. I know that sounds simplistic and sophomoric, but it is glaringly true and they're darn good at it. One of the ways they "make a profit" is to not pay claims, pay as little as possible, etc.

I have seen cases where the insurer didn't even bother reading the associated paperwork and has, or was going to, settle(d) a claim... when it didn't even involve their client! Why? Because it was cheaper and easier--for the insurance company! Now the client has a record of having had claims paid on their behalf. Sure the client can sue their insurer, but who has lawyers on staff? Who has extremely deep pockets? Who has an abundance of court-room experience?

In any case involving significant loss or injury, death, or a case like the OP's, I would at least consult my own attorney... one that I alone am paying.

I worked in financial services (including insurance) for many years and have dealt with and hired lots of attorneys over that time.

TROOPER to TRUCKER Thanks this.
  5. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    No,they will jump in because they have to.That's what's written in every insurance contract.
    Of course they pay as little as possible.If they were paying whatever people want ,you wouldn't be able to drive a mile in a commercial truck without 5 4 wheelers crashing into you.
    So you agree that attorney represents defendant and not insurance company?
    And it doesn't matter whether or not OP is still working for that company.He was covered at the time of an accident and that's all that matters.

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You aren't the first and won't be the last to make that mistake.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. diesel drinker

Apr 10, 2015
    Look,I have actually been in exact same situation.Have you?

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm still getting subpoenas from fatals and other very serious collisions. The first people to serve me is both parties insurance company.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The insurance company does not get named in the suit. That is why you contact them and forward a copy of the subpoena to them ASAP. Now the insurance company and their legal team now have the legal responsibility to represent you. Don't think for a second that they're going to do what is best for you. It's all about paying out the least amount of money. From there it becomes a game where the defendent and plaintiff screw around. Plaintiff tries to scare defendant, defendant tries to drag it out and starve the plaintiff into taking a lower settlement.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I keep forgetting that OP isn't an owner op. If anything, the lawyer's going to be taking care of Decker's interests long before the driver's.

11. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    I think y'all scared 'em off with all the arm wrestling.
    What say you, "tbrown-sd" you finding any of this helpful?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.