What to do? Not getting miles at Con-Way :-(

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by zackery2011, Oct 24, 2014.

1. zackery2011

zackery2011 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Grand Prairie, Texas
    Yeah Double Yellow you would think so, but our recruiter Christine told us nope. She tried getting on 2 weeks after the 3 month mark and Christine said sorry too late. I was only 1 month in, but already finishes training and didn't want to go through it again elseware.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Zack, did you know lots of recruiters are paid commission? That they're salespeople, a de facto marketing department?

Maybe you should talk to an FM or DM or whatever M border collies the folks who border collie you drivers. Might get a different story...

Maybe there's no $$ in it for Christine.

Yeah, your girl's a new driver and you now have 7 months. That should make a difference in a reality that made sense.

Why would a TL outfit not prefer a team?

I ask you...

zackery2011 Thanks this.
  4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    If you choose to hang in there a year you could try Poly out of Grand Prairie.

5. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Life at Conway Truckload or any other large carrier is like a box of chocolates............I did better than you and Joe and worse than Paul. I'm sure they have some fine folks in Joplin and I can assure you they have some real dirt bags as well.

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I worked for Con-Way truckload and then transfered to Con-Way Freight so I have knowledge on both ends...

The fix 6 months I worked at Truckload was great, I wish I had made the move a couple years sooner... The last 6 months was terrible No miles, sit sit sit... I never had issues with my truck so I a guess I am lucky on that end... Never had an accident or ticket and never was late picking/delivering a load... Not sure why the last 6 months was so bad? Anyhow...

I applied at Con-Way freight and was hired right away... I put in my 2 weeks notice at Truckload and they ended up keeping me OTR for 1 week and brought me back to Joplin 1 week shy of my year aniversary ( Imagine That, no bonus money )

Even though the checks from both companies come from Portland, Oregon they clain they are different compnaies so I had to do everything over from A to Z...

Drug tests
    Physical
    Direct Deposit Paperwork
    Saftey videos

Blah Blah...

I ended up working at Con-Way Freight for 3 months it was terrible... Old truck with no AC, No air ride seat, had 1.8 million miles on it and the interior smelled like butt crack. Its rush rush rush at every break terminal you go to. Managment could care less you are just a warm body. Working on the dock in the middle of winter/summer. Every night plan on getting a trailer with atleast 1 broken light because none of the drivers care to stop at the shop and have a new one thrown on... Dollies are in terrible condition. Just as absolute mess...

7. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    No just hard work Joe...... btw is you last name Biden?

8. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
  9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I know others have said to avoid another mega......but I have a friend at Celadon that teams. She is on her second go around with them with the same partner. They seem quite happy there. They are not new drivers either. Both have over 15 yrs experience. Just a thought.

btw......You are right about having to pay your dues. My first year earnings were crap. Second year got better. Third year better yet. Hang in there. It does get better.

paul_4lp and zackery2011 Thank this.
  10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
  11. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    How does one open these attachments? Have a feeling I'm missing something funny.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.