What to do when driver abandons truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by agfreight, Aug 9, 2012.

1. keepntruckin

keepntruckin Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Lexington,NC
    Wait a minute,you've missed something,the whole story isn't being told,, now WHY was the load late?,, apparently it wasn't because he abandoned it right? I know as an O/O myself that I can call the broker/receiver, explain that my truck has broken down (which does happen in the trucking industry), and if it were "refused" after I'd done this,and not rescheduled ( although sometimes there is a fine) ,, I'd get paid for the load, PLUS.. Looks like from what I've read,he did as you asked, he delivered the load, but was late, due to what reason?, Did YOU call anyone to let them know it may be late due to truck malfunction? AND if it were late due to no fault of the driver then YES, you OWE him his money for that load.After all , he did imform you, did you inform others involved? And leaving the truck while it's at a shop for repairs, that depends on if he's getting paid for sitting. I (or no-one in their right mind) would sit in a hotel for days not being paid because of equipment failure, key word being " not being paid break down pay". BOL?,, wait a minute,, wasn't it delivered yet refused? easy to get a copy of.
    What I see is, YOU need to pay the driver for the load he delivered in this hot summer heat that YOU wouldn't make repairs to until it was delivered and I'm VERY sure any court would see it the same way. Plus I'm sure the courts would find in the drivers favor and YOU would be paying ALOT more .
    I'm sure glad I don't drive for you.
    And yes, I am an O/O

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Glad someone else read the entire story!

Also a few others noticed as well

keepntruckin and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  4. keepntruckin

Dec 27, 2011
    Lexington,NC
    I had edited it somewhat.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Deduction from pay is illegal unless TransAm drivers are dumb enough to sign an agreement when hired allowing it .

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  6. mustanglover

mustanglover Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Jersey city,New Jersey

Is was a joke only a complete ahole would do something like that.If my a/c was broken i would continue to the drop unload,and wouldnt step foot in that hot box till it was fixed.Nice marriot or four seasons 5 star hotel for a couple days never hurt nobody.Of course if its someone driving for me he/she has to stay at the super 8 lol.......

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  7. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I saw that other thread too. I thought it fit since that thread started Friday a week ago and this one started yesterday. I figured they were exploring options during a lost day horsing around about continuing with no a/c from LR. Maybe not a lie, but not enough about the timeline to explain if the hotel/night option was offered Friday why it took till Tuesday to get there.

Guess you had to be there.

V c2c Thanks this.
  8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Was he really a employee? Bet he was paid on a 1099 and called a contractor, labor law does not apply.

9. keepntruckin

Dec 27, 2011
    Lexington,NC
    If that were the case, sure hope that agfreight had or made sure driver had workmans comp. or he would be royally screw'd

10. GAlanFink

GAlanFink Medium Load Member

May 8, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    One sided stories are subject to scrutiny.

11. vangtransport

vangtransport Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2009
    He more than likely lied about more than that. I'm guessing from California to New England Produce Markets, the guy was hauling onions. I have done this route countless times and I can say for fact, as long as there was communication to the market as to which day the driver would get there, they wouldn't reject the load. The market needs onions & needs lots of them, they may reschedule delivery because most doors at the market only unload at 4am, but a flat out rejection because it's late is highly suspicious IMO, if in fact it were onions.

Then he states that he is not getting any payment due to it being late, but he was able to "salvage" the load for less money. Another words he is probably getting hit with a late delivery charge is all.

IMO I think the driver is less than honorable but so is the OP!!

aiwiron Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.