What to do when no scales are available?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ganian, Apr 28, 2017.

1. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Sound like a bunch of lunch counter chatter to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    lol I don't know, I pull a spread axle.

I never did forget it though

Lumper Humper Thanks this.
  4. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Guess the original idea was if the load was truly even it would show evenly on the bulge of the tires

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you're picking up a sealed pre-loaded trailer and it's screwed up and has 40k + on a set of axles, you will usually be able to see a considerable and unusual bulge that requires some attention. But being able to detect 500-1000 pounds over? No way. Older bias ply tires from yesteryear were easier to detect a potential weight problem.

6. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    You had best know what your empty weight with full tanks is. So then there is never any question as to how much you can haul. If you don't know or aren't willing to scale empty, well then you're taking your own chances, and won't get much of a pity party here

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You did not specify, but did you ask the shipper if they knew where the closest one is?
    While the cat app is nice, there are a lot more certified scales out there. Landfills and recycle centers being the most common. Auto junk yards tend to have them too. Heck I've even seen a couple dc's allow outside usage, and even one mfg plant. For a fee of course.
    Mostly ask the shipper. If they load heavy someone in the office has looked it up.

8. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    1. Ask the shipper for nearest scare location.
    2. Notify your dispatch of situation. They may be able to find one for you. If they tell you to run out of route to: a) scale it, b) avoid weigh stations, be sure they pay you for those extra miles.
    3. CYA. Always. If you get an overweight ticket, it's on you, not the company
    4. If they tell you to run with it as is ave scale at 1st opportunity, get them to confirm that they will cover any money involved if you get a ticket. GET THAT IN WRITING, whether it's Q-comm, People Net, or text message. Never take a verbal commitment as it could leave you hanging.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  9. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Idk if you guys mentioned, buut check if you have a pressure gauge for your fifth wheel and also there could be pressure guage for your tandems, next to where you slide your tandems. I personally drive a cascadia, and never scale.

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't know of any of the typical "mega training" carriers who have onboard scales or pressure gauges. Besides, if you're new and don't understand them, they will get you in more trouble then they will keep you out of. (out of calibration or unfamiliar with applicable pressure scale for a given trailer, improper use or damage or altering by drivers who don't know what they're doing)

Florida Playboy Thanks this.
  11. Matts28

Matts28 Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Virginia
    I pull paper out of Baltimore down i70 over to West Virginia. No scales. I just stick the tandems under where the load ends in the trailer. Obviously not a concrete method of course. But I haven't got a ticket in MD yet!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.