What to expect driving yard truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sea0fgreen, May 10, 2024.

1. Sea0fgreen

Sea0fgreen Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Rural USA
    Im about to start a job as a yard driver. Wondering if anyone has advice or what I should be expecting or looking out for?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
  4. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Hot, cold, dusty, downpour rain, busy as hell, then bored as heck. Treated like Royalty, then get your ### handed to you.
    All in the life of a yard mule.

5. mpow66m

mpow66m Heavy Load Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Northeast
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I agree with @Lazer. Lots of people do this, but its not a job for me. In & out, in & out, in & out. It aint just that, but when its raining, storming... in & out, in & out. Wet all day, even when trying to stay dry with a large rain coat.... you're gonna stay wet.
    Winter time, not my favorite. Can never get the truck warm. Door is open & closed, open & closed. Gotta stay bundled up like a Polar Bear all day, trying to work in it like a mummy.
    Summer time down here in Louisiana. 100 degrees, no way to keep the truck cool.

Again, lots of people do it all over the U. S., but for me, no thanks. You don't have to worry about me taking your job. You're secure as far as I am concerned.
    Don't get me wrong, some people like it. We've got someone now & then that will get out of a road truck & go to yard truck. It's all in what you like.

Number one rule so everyone doesn't hate you.... you can drop it a bit too low, but don't ever drop it too high. I can always deflate my air bags & drop the 5th wheel and slam under it if I need to. But too high, not but one thing to do. And if its storming, raining, cold, hot... yeah, I'm not gonna be happy.

7. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Also depending on what yard you’re jockeying at, there could be a lighted walkway with neon signs pointing to big door that says “Shipping/Receiving” with an animatronic billboard above it, and no less than 10 drivers will flag you down to ask where to check in at!

Flat Earth Trucker and Kyle G. Thank this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    It's actually a lot harder than it looks. I lasted 1 day.

9. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I have done it for a few years. I enjoyed it but it's definitely not for everyone. I'm not sure what advice I can give at the moment. It kinda depends on your particular assignment, because they are all different.

TripleSix and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I can vouch for this, 100%!

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    300 trailers in the yard, you need to find #8467912............have fun !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.