What to expect during my mentorship

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Penumbra, Sep 8, 2019.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Another way of staying away from everyone else.... :laughing-guffaw:
    When I was empty. I could really pull hills... :laughing-guffaw:

Empty heading east on I80. Out of Laramie to Cheyenne Wyo. There is a huge climb. It's four or 5(?) lanes. I'd get all the way over to the left. Hold between 65 to 70 mph. Blasting by all the Supertruckers trying to climb with their loads. One time I got caught up in it. Started laughing hahaha... F! you Supertruckers! :laughing-guffaw:
    I stayed away from all of them. :laughing-guffaw:

Going east bound I70 up to Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado. I could exceed the speed limit. They change speed limit. Sometimes 65, others 60. I'd keep over to the left. Just try to stay away from the speeding cars. Blast by all the loaded trucks. Well... I stayed away from them.
    :laughing-guffaw:

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Just give yourself reaction and stopping distance. Forget about what you're trainer is saying on this point. It's not if someone's going to do something stupid but when. By leaving yourself an out you change a preventable on your record to just an annoyance.

I learned that driving aggressively and taking shortcuts doesn't save any time. Sure the other guy may be done sooner then you, but eventually he has to spend all that time he saved in the boss office explaining how things went wrong.

tinytim, 88 Alpha and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @88 Alpha

Yessir, and then some~!! (I'm gonna print and save that myself, tbh~!) :)

Just woke up from my nap. We 'vampire' drivers are a strange breed, LoL~!!! ;)

5. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Be honest. The only reason you're going to print it is because it will take you 3 days to read that post and you don't want to loose your place. :biggrin_2559:

6. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Close... I'm gonna plagiarize it for the NEXT guy that asks, lmao~!!! ;)

FlaSwampRat and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  7. 88 Alpha

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    You have my blessings (mainly because I don't want to have to type all of that again). :biggrin_25512::biggrin_25514:

FlaSwampRat and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Seriously, the passing explanation is my favorite... the best. I'm with you there; my thoughts on that have migrated through the years, as well. Of course, Scottie would differ, but that's another (old and dead) thread, LoL~! ;)

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Not sure why he slowed. Adjusting to traffic maybe? Slowed on a hill? Messing with you?

For the most part I won't pass someone after they pass me unless they remain slow for a good distance. Whatever the reason is for them being inconsistent in speed the fact they blew your doors off means you're not going to stay ahead of them. Just ease up a bit until they get a good distance ahead is what I usually do. At the end of the day you won't lose any significant amount of time.

G13Tomcat and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  10. 88 Alpha

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Giving yourself that extra space cushion will become extremely important on some loads.

If you ever haul rolls of paper, the big, tall ones, you don't want to be in a position that you have to jam your brakes to try to stop.

Additionally, some loads shift easier than others. Beer and water come to mind pretty quickly. When those shift, they are not likely to come through the nose of the trailer and kill you, but I've been at receivers when when drivers have come in with a load of beer or a load of water shifted so bad they immediately reject the load.

Don't be in a position that you have to jam your brakes and take the curves (on the road or on the entrance/exit ramps) slow and smooth.

You won't have anywhere near as much damaged product if you heed this advice.

FlaSwampRat and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Two old sayings come to mind, if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.
    And then if you aren't the lead dog, the scenery never changes. lol

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.