What to expect from an end dump job?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by motocross25, Jul 9, 2017.

1. gwilli89

gwilli89 Light Load Member

May 4, 2016
    Illinois
    End dumps not real hard. You've just got to be observant and careful....always pay attention and take it as slow as you need. If you're willing to learn (and it doesn't take long) it can be a good deal as well as fun. Your day to day can be monotonous, but it can also be pretty exciting going different places and running different products. I'm not 100% sure what company you're talking about (I'm from central Illinois and am very familiary with Beelman, so I'd stay away from them) but if you've got the experience...personally I'd pursue Woody Bogler (though I believe they require 2 years recent OTR experience). Although that's gonna put ya out a lot more, and certainly not home. Just my 2 cents.

Regardless, as I said I'm from central Illinois. I'm fairly familiar with the majority of companies that run end dumps between I-80 and Rosebud/Gerald, MO where Woody Bogler is at. I've been hauling dumps for the better part of 14 years. If you've got any questions, feel free to shoot me a message.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    There's some good advice in this thread but I'll add a couple of things.
    We have a couple of end dumps. Last week my driver called me and said that he was being signed out early from a stockpiling job because he got into an argument with the job boss. That particular driver isn't prone to arguments or exaggeration so I figured there was a problem.
    The job boss was having the end dumps unload side by side in a row, maybe four or five end dumps at a time. By side by side I mean maybe five feet between trailers.
    My driver said, and quite rightly, that this wasn't safe. If one dump started to turn over and hit the others they'd all go over like dominos.
    I saw that happen one time. Once was enough.
    I found another haul for the driver to finish out the day.
    Watch out for job bosses, especially on construction sites....sometimes they don't really know everything they should know.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Absolutely. I never under ANY circumstance put my truck anywhere it could be hit by a tipping trailer. I don't care how "experienced" the operator of that truck is or what the site boss says, MY judgement is the final word when it comes to MY safety. If I'm on my way up and someone else backs in beside me, I pause and we have words. I'd rather not be responsible for accidently killing someone due to their stupidity and an unexpected mishap.

Patience. You'll still get your load dumped off and we'll all make it home. When you try to rush things, that's when the excrement usually hits the fan.

motocross25 and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Sorry to the Mods about the original thread title. I suppose it was in poor taste.

d o g Thanks this.
  6. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Three ways to unload a dump trailer... left, right, and rear.
    Joking aside, Bulldog is dead on, patience.
    Another thing I notice, seems everyone want to stand beside the trailer as it goes up(I cant figure that one out)??? I am confident of the dumping with no problem and I will still make them move away from trailer. A few have got pizzed, oh well.

REO6205 and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    End dumps are not hard if you have the slightest bit of common sense, haven't put one over yet in the ~10 years I've been pulling them and have dumped in landfills grossing 120k+ with a 40' frameless, make sure you are level, put the trailer up, or put it down, do not hesitate, do no move it until the load has broke, if you are more then halfway up and it starts leaning your best bet is to put it to the boards to get the load out of the nose, much better to spend $1000 on a new pump then put the trailer over,

dump trailers are not meant to gate spread like that video, not to mention I would kick the #### out of that driver for driving the truck with the PTO on which is very bad for the pump, there's operators/machines for a reason, no need to beat the truck. Also as already mentioned the rule for dumping is the length of the bed +10 feet

motocross25 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.