What to look for when specking a truck for a general freight?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Aug 23, 2021.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Could be several reasons. Operations running less miles. More things you can repair yourself in a parking lot or jobsite, versus depending on a dealer. Or just willing/able to pay the premium to have a flashy old school ride.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Oh, I know. But saving money on fuel always overshadows about everything else for me.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You better get your order in now friend. By this time next year your going to be kicking yourself in the ### knowing you could get 8.5 while fuel is north of 4/gal.

At just 4/gal that’s $1500/mo on just 2500 miles per week average.

TallJoe and RedForeman Thank this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The biggest reason against upgrades were faulty emission systems. At least for awhile. Then ELDs. Finally, sentiments, I think.
    It is not just a tool. Lol.

86scotty Thanks this.
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    This is the cost reduction per month, based on 10,000 miles a month with a 5.0 mpg baseline.

Screen Shot 2021-08-26 at 11.54.53 AM.png

7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    To be 100% honest. The 6.5 mpg is in the summer time. More idling and less BTU fuel in winter make it 6.1 annually.
    Hell, indeed, now I know where the new truck payments are going to come from...
    Then that unforgiving $15k-20k per year repair&maintenance to prop up the old junker.
    Hard to argue...

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Yep, money ahead and less headache all around. Win/win. If old trucks were more profitable and less headache I’d be running them. lol :)

Edit: to be fair 8.1 may end up also being your yearly average unless you do an apu.

larry2903, 86scotty and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    it costs me less the $50 a calendar day to leave the truck sitting in the yard with buckets on the stacks, why should I work more just to cover a payment? I know it about evens out with depreciation but you still need to actually work to turn the more dollars over vs just working less and being able to make it on less gross, life’s to short

I’ve been working about 8 hours a night this week, hourly, after 3 nights I topped off fuel to run south with my fridge, 3.1 mpg over the 3 days, but I only put about 100 miles on the truck in 3 days….

If you are moving your own product and NEED a truck I 100% agree about the new/mpg

86scotty Thanks this.
  10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    to be fair, you have to include ALL costs of ownership, including cost of capital, insurance, downtime, employee retention (if applicable).

The increased cost of insurance was the big unknown for me. Turns out, three years after buying new, insurance actually dropped (a LOT) because our CSA score improved a bunch by not having stupid points added for burnt out marker lights and such.

11. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Does it matter what engine?
    Why do we care?
    What options do we have?
    Is the choice dictated more by a rational analysis and calculations or more of personal preference and cult belonging?

I know about these engine in US:
    Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, Mack, Cat( Did they stopped to make engines for new semi trucks?), Paccar, Man (A26),
    Not every truck manufacturer offers it as an option to equip their trucks with either of them. For instance, Volvo, at this time, is factory specd with their own Volvo engine, or as an option it can be equipped with Cummins. Freightliner comes with Detroit or as an option also with Cummins(?). International comes with either Man A26 and Cummins. KW: Paccar or Cummins. I am not sure about Peterbilt. I am not sure if you can opt for Detroit in any of the other than Freightliner.
    Question: What does matter more for you: the truck make and model or the engine is has inside?

Engine is about 4 (?) things: 1.Power 2. Torque. 3.Fuel Economy, 4.Durability

Question 1. The more, the better? If so, what about the fuel economy? Would it be true to say that you can still have the same miles per gallon with the bigger engine, provided that you take it easy with the gas pedal?

Question 2. I know, from my observations, that Cummins is more durable than Detroit, What about the rest? Or perhaps these are just unwarranted claims. Any of those engines can last just as long, provided you adhere to the maintenance care and regimen?

Question3 Looks like fuel economy of more than 8 mpg is something that all of the manufacturers can achieve at present time. So in terms of fuel savings, the choice should not matter...true or not?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.