What to wear to an interview

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WITrucker87, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Option one is new clean work clothes

Option two is to dress up either dress shirt and dress pants or khakis or you can go all out and wear a suit.

Hugene and appearance are important. Shave, take a shower, wear deodorant and comb your hair.

One thing I forgot to add is silence your phone during the interview

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    I wore a suit and tie for my interview (also a food place) but I also brought workout clothes and shoes since I knew I was doing at DOT physical and physical agility test later that day, got the job part in due to the fact i wore a suit and tie, it'll help you more than hurt you.

when i get nervous i tend to talk real loud without realizing (i generally have a loud voice to begin with anyways) keep that in mind if you have a similar problem. good luck!

4. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    Casual. Reinhart is kinda a stuck up company

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Ha, when I "interviewed" for my curretn job, it went something like this. I got outta my car, got in his truck, we spoke for a bit sitting in his truck. After we hashed out all the details, he asks 'wanna go for lunch?'. Of course I said yes, so we went up the road to a local bar and drank ourselves silly, then called the mechanic to pick us up and take us home. I got the job, and yes it pays very well....

DrtyDiesel and DealBreaker Thank this.
  6. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Pair a pressed chinos, suspenders. Zannaco shoes freshly polished and plenty of facial bling.

7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    No need to overdress for a truck driving job. CLEAN jeans/dockers and a collar shirt are fine. Hide any tattoos/piercings, some workgloves close by in case you do a road test. Kinda' ackward pre-tripping in a suit with no gloves, right ?

aiwiron Thanks this.
  8. Maria Joseph

Maria Joseph Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    TN
    I'm a hiring manager and I personally don't see what clothing has to do with someone's job performance. I can tell you that over the years, it doesn't matter how well they dressed for the interview or how well they were able to B.S. the other hiring managers--they can STILL be lousy at their job. If it were up to me, I would make the dress code whatever the heck you wanted to wear...ha ha. I have to dress up for my job (desk job) and personally hate it since I am a jeans and t-shirt person.

The only issue is that unfortunately the vast majority of hiring managers put a lot of stock into appearances, and I've dealt with some pretty petty comments about how candidates were dressed for interviews. As I said, I look at the person's qualifications, what they are all about, and skills but some people still do make an issue of appearance. That is the main reason I suggested that the OP dress up for the interview.

I do fully agree with you that it shouldn't be a fashion show...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. WITrucker87

WITrucker87 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Kenosha, WI
    Thats what I was thinking. I dressed up. Interview went well.

Maria Joseph Thanks this.
  10. Quickfarms

Quickfarms Heavy Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    At least he had the sense not to drive.

11. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Something low cut:biggrin_25513:
    i'd go shirt with buttons, clean pants, boots or good shoes, maybe even a sport coat if you want
    Comb your hair, brush your teeth and clean under your nails, cuz hygene is everyones issue:yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.