what to you do to stay warm?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oldslowchevy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    what do these guys do in the summer when it is 110 degrees and the humidity is 98%?? I also have the option of idleing, I don't abuse it but, have COPD and need it in the summer. I also don't run the Northeast anymore, because of the anti-idle nazis.

10 yrs ago on the Mass pike in a snow storm it was about 15 degrees out and snowing like crazy. a state trooper banged on the door at 0300 to tell me to turn of my truck. I told to take me to jail so I could sleep in a place that was warm. lol. the company paid the $200 ticket. it was small with 10 trucks. he used to drive and understood.

RALPHMANBEARPONY, Marky84 and Logan76 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    You couldn't pay me to park at a service plaza on the Mass. pike!

I run alot of NE and I make sure to stay to the back roads and keep a low profile because they like to pick on trucks up here.

4. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Whenever I went camping a mylar blanket inside of my sleeping bag made my light sleeping bag good for really cold weather. The op says they dont like sleeping bags but you could put one between your blankets and yourself.

I am very glad I have my Espar, but I could live without it, but once it gets hot I am gonna idle, especially if I am expected to sleep in the daytime.

5. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    haha nice one. easy for HIM to say.

6. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I had a LOT more trouble when it was hot and humid than I EVER did when it was cold.

I say yet again is it any wonder I don't speak well of that company?

7. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT
    I don't have a bunk heater or APU either.. I can idle, but choose not to: I only idle in the summer. I don't mind the cold.

I have a sleeping bag too, but don't really use it.

I just bundle up! I'm bald, so I wear a wool toque (hat). Wool socks too. Hoodie.. long johns.

If its really cold, I'll add a blanket or two. One is wool, goes on top, the other is a lighter, but comfier one, goes under it.

8. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    when i first started i hate the idea of idling (racial reference removed) untill one day i woke up and my contacts that were in they're little vile of cleaning solution for the night froze solid and i woke up and had what i'm pretty sure were icicles hanging off my mustache and beard ya i like my heat now lol no sense to become a popsicle for anyone

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
    Logan76 and Marky84 Thank this.
  9. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    Been there before, sleeping out by Harrisburg PA one night i woke up so #### cold....then it took forever for my truck to warm up...

fisher guy Thanks this.
  10. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    oh yeah at time of my near popsicle transformation was driving a kw w900b with a 425 kitty and holy crap it felt like it was it was gonna be spring by the time tht thing was gonna warm up

11. CrabbyOlLady

CrabbyOlLady Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Washington
    Cheap way to stay warm for up to 8 hours...those thermal wraps sold in boxes of 4 for arthritis or something like that. You get the Xlarge ones for your back and they heat up a pretty good size area, use em' for snowboarding at night when the wind picks up and the temps drop to the teens or lower. Makes for a great night to stay on the slopes before getting chased off at closing time, not a lot of space is needed to keep a box of them with you and doesn't cause fumes or condensation.

Marky84 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.