what to you do to stay warm?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by oldslowchevy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    my boss and I have an agreement, if I freeze to death because he whines about the truck idling, my wife will be his next boss. That said, I've slept as cold as 15 deg. in just sleeping bag, some times I have a fleece blanket I'll throw on top of it. I make the decision to idle or not, not the company, if he's gonna whine about the idling, I have a company Mastercard in my Name on it, I will get a hotel room and he can pay for it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SierraMike

SierraMike Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    I use Army cold weather gear. You can pick up cheap Goretex at Army/Navy surplus places

4. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    You don't have an auxillary heater in your truck? Most trucks have them. Allows you to run the heat while the motor is off. Usually work pretty well too! Man, your going to end up getting pretty sick sleeping in cold weather like that!

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    at 60 years old i have decided i will not drive a truck without an apu a frig and an inverter
    paud my dues many moons ago if i have to keep working comfort is a priority with me

6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Ya keep in mind that your fellow employees aren't sitting in the office freezing to death or in the dark!

7. T...Street

T...Street Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    randolph co. NC
    Its also the law...if you are required to sleep in the truck ( boss won't pay for A ROOM)

8. T...Street

T...Street Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2012
    randolph co. NC
    its also the law.......If you are required to sleep in the power unit (boss won't pay for a room)...then the company must provide you with a working heater in winter and a working ac in summer........

9. oldslowchevy

oldslowchevy Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    morristown tn
    i can idle the truck i was never told that i cannot idle. we are just a small two truck company and i am tring on my own to keep my idle time to a min, that said i prefer cool weather and i sleep good in 40-50 temps with what i have, below that i idle. we are looking at apu's come this spring.

my employer treats me well, in return i try to do right by him as well.

Dave 1960, CertifiedSweetie and MJ1657 Thank this.
  10. vaughncanter

vaughncanter Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    ask your boss if he turns his heat off at night in his house,i would not work for these idiots.

11. vaughncanter

vaughncanter Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    ####,drivers r idiots,today

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.