What tools do you keep in your truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Speedco, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I hear you on the tools. I forgot about the pry bar. My problem with carrying a lot of tools was weight and space. Carrying tools was almost impossible during my drive a way days. My last few years I limited myself to around 25 to 30 pounds of tools. On some of my loads I was so heavy I could not keep much fuel in the tanks. And with the fuel burners with the APU under the bunk along with all the electronics in the side spaces behind the seats I just did not have the room for a big toolbox.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Alot of what's been mentioned and a small transfer shovel, kitty litter, and ice melt.

JReding Thanks this.
  4. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    Mostly to hit the big screws (dog ears) on the dome lid of tanks. A rubber mallet won't damage them, but it also won't create any sparks when you have flammable liquids.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  5. OOwannaBE

OOwannaBE Medium Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    I have a lot of tools in my truck and always needed them for each situation. Starting out as a new guy I would recommend a crowbar, mallet, and bolt cutters. WD40 and duct tape for misc problems.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I almost forgot a tool almost every trucker on the road who pulls vans or reefer's should have. A simple push broom. Their not very heavy and can be bungee corded down. You don't need them all the time, but gosh their nice to have on those few times you will need one.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    JReding Thanks this.
  7. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    Shoot flatbeds need em to. The motoring public hates rocks hitting there windshields for some reason.

8. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I have an electric leafblower, wrench set, screwdriver set, electric drill, drill bits, hammer, rubber mallet, couple clamps. Also some wd-40, paint razor, various tapes (masking, duct, packing), and industrial strength velcro. Zip ties, bolt cutters, tin snips, and a blow dryer. Also some 95% alcohol for my air lines if needed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.