What tools do you use to get a good rate?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by FlashBolt, Nov 7, 2017.

1. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    How do you get the rates you do? what kind of tools do you use to determine a price where the truck driver is making money and so is the broker?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    As the owner of the equipment and the individual taking all the risk, I am not concerned about the broker making a dime, ever.

As far as figuring rates, there are far too many factors involved to write the book that is required.

As a rule of thumb, if I don't average $1k/day gross revenue, it is not worth the time.

KB3MMX, JimmyWells and brsims Thank this.
  4. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    From which end of the equation are you trying to figure this out? As a broker, or as a carrier? The answers are different.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    My tool for good rates? A dispatcher who may possibly be a cross between a rabid, roid-raging badger on speed and Godzilla the day he found out ToHo Pictures went out of business!

But I'm a spoiled company driver these days. Being a solo owner operator is a whole different world from what I do.

6. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    i want to know from both aspects?

7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    The surest answer is also the biggest copout. Experience.

From a broker's perspective, I look at lane averages, run against what I've paid previously, and what the market itself is doing, and can ballpark based on that.

The driver on the other hand has a minimum dollar threshold they need to meet daily/weekly/monthly to cover operating expenses, and then what they want to make after that.

Both of us glance into our figurative crystal ball, and pull out a number, and try to move a load for that. There's so many variables involved that it's not a precise science. I'm not going to necessarily explain my methodology for pricing to my customers. Nothing personal, but I don't know you, and this industry is cutthroat enough as it is.

KB3MMX, JimmyWells and FlashBolt Thank this.
  8. FlashBolt

FlashBolt Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I totally understand but thanks for letting me know it helps a lot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.