What tools/parts to keep in the truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Plecc94, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    What you can fix should determine what you carry. Also I assume your under warranty so spare parts like a 1000$ plus alternator seems overkill.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That's a good list. You saved me a lot of typing. I carry basically all of this stuff exactly plus a few things for my specific truck.

-belts
    -my old tensioners/idlers for both belts
    -Sections of rubber hose and metal tubing for APU and rear heater line fixes
    -Sections of airline as well as a million couplers
    -Somebody earlier said manual siphon pump. PRICELESS if you ever need to do your fuel filters on the road
    -ECM reset and Regen tool for my truck, priceless
    -A bicycle. Yep, I said a bicycle
    Gojo/hand cleaner, nitrile gloves, jumpsuit
    - I carry way too much water. A few gallons stashed here and there and a blue Aquatainer 5 gallon from Walmart. Makes a great outdoor sink inside my under bunk door

I'm trying to avoid the temptation to carry a bunch of parts like alternators and all but I am considering adding a water pump to my stash. The biggest reason is that I haven't replaced it in a couple years. It's a quick and simple roadside fix for my truck.

gabe11, TallJoe, NavigatorWife and 4 others Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    The alternator was just dumb luck with me. Was in the truck from the previous owner. Really lucked out there. Middle of nowhere pa with no phone service pulled off into some school bus lot in the middle of the night

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Oh, I don't blame you for carrying one. I've thought of it. I start heading down the slippery slope of bringing along a whole spare engine though. :D I've honestly thought of stashing a spare turbo in my truck because of all of the horror stories of how much people pay for them in a pinch.

6. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    One of the most important things I carry and forgot to put on the list is a 3x6 waterproof door mat. Toss it on theground when you work. Lifesaver!

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    CAC boots and clamps. That's an easy one that'll have you calling the hook if you don't have em. ^^^^^and the mat so you don't lay in piss Lol

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I got caught this week with a bad starter. Dropped trailer, helped/taught an O/O how to adjust his brakes. Unhooked my trailer, and had him pull start my Truck. Air was down, brakes were set. Started right up. I should have had one onboard, since I knew it would go bad eventually. 21 yrs old.2.3
    My starter went bad this week. Only 21 yrs old,2.3 mil miles. Yep Delco Remy is junk. Lol. Had to get a pull start with brakes set. Bought a 39MT. Wow is it nice. Cranks fast, pulls less battery power than the old 42MT. I should have had one onboard, bought on sale from Dealer. So I had to pay sales tax, total $390, put it on a couple days later. Don’t carry alternators anymore. No longer an annual thing. Worst case scenario, I’ve had to shut down till morning. Run it straight to a parts store. I think I’ll get one soon, though Warranty is a concern. I’ve had a couple warranty returns. One year from date of purchase. Normally I’ll buy a part, keep it onboard till I have time, or am forced to change it on the road. Current alternators at least 2-3 yrs old. After the recent starter ordeal,think I’ll get a spare. I’ve always wanted an extra pulley, so it’s ready to install. New battery operated impact will do the job. As long as it’s charged up. Lol

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I keep a cheap small tarp for winter work. Cardboard for summertime. At least 7 gallons of old antifreeze in the side box. Spare mudflap, plastic type found at the Pilot. Can be used to slide wheel/ hub on steers, when changing a seal. Torque wrenches. Extra hose clamps, 20 ton jack. Any old part that’s still good. Especially A/C stuff for diagnosis. I did carry a vacuum pump and gauges for a while. But I Can always charge it, and evacuate later at home.

10. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Doesn't anyone else carry a tire repair kit?
    I probably missed it..

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I have a plug kit.

Rideandrepair, TallJoe and Final Drive Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.