What tools/parts to keep in the truck?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Plecc94, Mar 18, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    You'd need to call someone to shave the block for new liners, and a way to get the head off, but otherwise it's no different than doing it in a shop. I put a Cummins, 47rh, and 241dhd in my Chevy in the dirt driveway at my in-law's house. Willpower.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaroba

zaroba Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    South East PA
    Nah, I didn't drill the frame. If you look at the earlier picture I posted of the box you can see a cross member in the lower right of the picture. There is a cross member under the box that has the same 8 factory drilled holes in the top of it. Used 1/2" bolts and 2" washers to attach the box to the crossmember.

It might not stay attached in the event of a major accident like flipping, the weight inside would probably take the bolts through the bottom of the box, but it wont go anywhere from normal driving.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    This thread has an impact on me.

I got myself a toy.

1/2 inch drive. Comes with XC5.9 battery and charger. I thought about 3/4 (does not come with the batter nor charger) but after asking around, I was told that this would be enough.

Can't wait to change shocks now ...

upload_2021-9-18_20-11-14.png

5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Heavy duty vice grips and or some zip ties to clip off an airline and allow you to get to the next stop if need be. I blew a brake cylinder a while back and was able to make it down the road by clamping off the airline.

6. Last_over_hill

Last_over_hill Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Anyone carry or have a recommendation for something portable to jumpstart your truck? I'm considering carrying something just in case I end up with a dead battery. I pull a dryvan and don't have a APU (got the Freightliner Park smart battery pack).

7. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    20211028_103254.jpg

8. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    My bad you don't have APU..

9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250A 12V UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, USB-C Powerbank Charger, And Jumper Cables For Up To 10.0-Liter Gas And 8.0-Liter Diesel Engines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08WZFPXF...abc_C3XPY01GSWX8PH7ZCAKH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Be surprised if this didnt do the trick

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I have a 4,000 amp NOCO Genius, and it will absolutely start a truck.

Edit: It also has a ton of ways to output 12 volt power, and three or four different ways you can charge it. Highly recommended.

11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I have been thinking about it, already put lugs to a quick connect to decrease arcing and make it easier to toss on a battery tender. was thinking of doing the same to the noco so i could just jump it in a pinch.

Recomendations on min size to go down to? 4k feels like overkill, never REALLY needed more than 20 minutes on my pickup or car to start it (low voltage cut on my parasitic sources is a little too low and likes to cut in and out drawing lower than it ought, but never seen it below 10.5)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.