what trailer for hauling coils?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Cabover9670, Mar 1, 2019.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Forgot to mention jr beams at 6inches in the center.

MACK E-6 and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    An interesting design, to be sure. And useful, but only in a limited set of curcumstances.

Trailer can only accept shotgun coils. So the reciever MUST be a crane unload and MUST be willing to accept shotgun coils.

In my experience, most (but not all) receivers prefer suicide coils. Easier to guide the crane hook into, which makes for a quicker unload.

Plus, what do you do with the trailer if steel dips, as it does? Gotta park it, can't be used as a flat deck. Waste of money for a single truck or small fleet operation in my opinion. I run for a mid-sized fleet of steel haulers, and we sure as heck aren't wasting capital on such a limited use trailer. And we run connies, for beef's sake!

Let PGT and PI&I waste their cash on toys like this. I'll stick with a Big Bubba or a MaxMiser for my moneymaker. Far more useful trailers overall.

cke Thanks this.
  4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    You can unload with a forklift.
    See it done a lot.
    Either a steel strap thru the coil or i have seen a few places where they used a piece off railroad track accros the forks.

Lepton1 and cke Thank this.
  5. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Hard to believe you see any place using a piece of rail or cable. Way to risky for the rail or cable slipping on the forks. You are right that it can be done. We use to double them out of the mill and use that method at transfer yard. As in go to mill load 1 coil and run done the street to transfer yard set it off and then to mill get second and then back to transfer yard and get the first one back on then go deliver both at same time. But I can't believe a mill or plant will do that in today's overly safety first environment, if anything every went wrong the law suit would be huge.

shogun, cke and daf105paccar Thank this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Not a cable,a foot wide woven steel belt/strap.
    And there are stops on the forks,it cannot slide off.

But i agree with you,in today's climate it will be done less and less.

Lepton1, cke and adayrider Thank this.
  7. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Never seen a steel belt used or stops. They would put a strip of rubber mud flap on the forks though. Lol

cke Thanks this.
  8. doodahman18411

doodahman18411 Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2018
    East BST II. All you’ll ever need

jamespmack and cke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.