What truck should I buy?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by rwdfinch50, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    O.k. guys and gals. This is a serious question, so please give an honest answer based on your experiences as an owner operator, o.k?
    First, about me. I am an experienced driver, with over 30 years experience, mostly as a company driver, but a little while as an owner operator. At that time, I had a Freightliner Classic Xl with a series 60, 500 hp. I definitely do not want to go that route again, with fuel being where it is. So please base your answers on that, I am not a new driver, and I know what you are talking about.
    I will be buying my truck before the end of March, and leasing on with LS. I will be running company van loads to start, maybe buying a trailer later. I am looking at 2007/08 Volvo VN780's with Volvo engines and automatic transmissions to start. I always got getter fuel mileage with automatics, which is why I am going that route. 07/08 is within the price range I want to start with, say 35k to 45k.
    So, can you give me some insight into the quality of the slightly older Volvo motors, as compares to CAT and Cummins? Which has been more dependable for you?
    How about the automatic trannies? Which ones are better?
    Thanks in advance for your insights. I hope to see you guys and gals soon out there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kujo

Kujo Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2012
    in the middle
    I am not an oo yet but I will say for the Volvo the biggest downside is with their motor you can only get repairs at a dealership. And to make it worse they don't stock a lot of parts so it seems like even a minor repair leaves you down for at least 2 days. I like a lot of things about them but because of that I will never buy one I drove a 08 at my last company and felt like I spent as much time in the shop as I did driving.

4. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I am kind of leaning towards the ISX engine from what everyone has been saying. Never considered having to get the motor fixed only at Volvo. I remember in the 70's, yes, I'm aging myself lol, but in the 70's CAT engines needed specialized tools that only CAT trained mechanics had. At that time, the Detroits were terrible engines, and Cummins didn't have much power, so CAT was the engine of choice, and still is to many people. Last I knew, you couldn't get it on a Volvo anymore. You raised a good point for sure.

5. Kujo

Kujo Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2012
    in the middle
    Yeah I'm in a kw with the isx now and loving it. Been in the shop only 3 times in its first 80k once the wires on the battery disconnect came loose. Once the fan clutch locked on kept the fan running non stop and the third was the egr cooler started going bad. All repairs took less then 8 hours. All done at different places. And all are not really a surprise breaking in a new truck. And the pulling power makes that Volvo and Detroit seem like car engines. Hehe

6. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    This is somewhere that I have no experience. I'd suggest posting this question in a different area of these forums or getting in touch with some of the BCO's over on their forum and asking that question.

7. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
  8. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Thanks everyone. I have researched many trucks and answers posted by drivers in this and other forums. I appreciate everybody's answers.
    One quick thing learned is there are as many opinions as there are truck drivers. Yes, I knew that. But there are a lot of good pointers also.
    So, after much thought and research, I have decided to buy a used Volvo VN780 that used to be an Interstate Distributors truck. It is a 2007 with 640,000 miles on it. It will have a 1 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty that also covers injectors and turbo and egr valves.
    I talked to Interstate's head of maintenance on the phone yesterday, and he said they were very happy with these trucks, and still run them. They are also a Volvo certified shop, and everything that was done through them can be accessed through Volvo's intranet service at any of their dealers.
    Also, I got preliminary approval for LandStar yesterday. I was told that all that is left it for Corporate to review everything, and then orientation. They said I should hear from them around Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm hoping I can get to orientation this week, but next week at the latest.
    I am looking forward to working with you all, as from what I've learned, I am making the right choice for myself to come here. Thanks again.

9. Kujo

Kujo Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2012
    in the middle
    Well the warranty and being able to see the repair history is a nice peace of mind. I hope it works out and best of luck with ls.

10. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    Thanks. The warranty has a big deductible on the turbo, injectors and EGR, at $500, but with each of these costing over $1000 ea., it seems like a no brainer.
    Also, one of the jobs I had was for an owner operator, and I had to find my own loads there. I was pretty good at it, and I'm patient enough to search the loads out, and run where the money is, so LS is the right place to do this at.
    I'll keep you posted as to how it's going when I get out there. I don't take delivery on the truck until this Friday, and I have a good size emergency fund set aside, so I feel good about this.

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    When I was driving, I never made the plunge into O/O. I researched it enough, but never made the jump.

Working with a couple of semi salesman though, they gave me the best advice.

"Buy the engine/tranny/gears you wanted. The truck is the package to haul it around in."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.