What truck should I buy?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by rwdfinch50, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rwdfinch50

rwdfinch50 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    I agree with that statement, but when you are buying a used truck, you cannot spec it as you wish. By buying a truck which was originally purchased by a company that runs regularly in the mountains, such as Interstate Dist., which is from Washington state, I believe I got a truck that will run in all areas. I am past the point in my life where I run full speed down the road anymore, so I want a truck that will pull a hill as opposed to one that will run 80 mph. I think I found it. Hopefully, I did. Time will tell, I guess.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. barroll

barroll Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    If only we were all so mature starting out. Only took until I could find 13th gear to figure out what the governed speed on my K100 was.

Even if you can't spec a truck yourself, you can often find a used truck spec'd as you would like it. When I was in the market for a newer truck i'd search for the engine I wanted, then filtered out for the transmissions and gears I felt comfortable with, and then looked at the price tag. Online shopping makes looking for a truck a breeze.

4. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    God, I wish I was just starting out. I've been driving since 1977, and I was an owner operator before several years ago. I wish I was just starting out knowing what I do now. What it is, is I've matured over the years to where I know that hammering down is a waste of time and money. But thanks for thinking I was so young. If felt good for a minute. :biggrin_25519:

5. starsonwindow

starsonwindow Medium Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    rwdfinch50 I appreciate this post, What happened with you going to LS? I am looking to find guys that are barely there!Thanks.

6. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    I assume when you say " barely there" that you mean not for a long time. I am with Landstar now, and I have been for just over two months.
    I am still in the early stages of learning the ropes with regards to which agents I want to pull for and where I want to run on a regular basis, and I still make some mistakes, mostly due to my not properly planning my trip before I leave, but I am making decent money in spite of my mistakes. I really believe when I get it all figured out, I will become a very successful by leasing on here.
    So, it looks like I will be here for a long time. The independence Landstar offers my is very refreshing. I believe this is about as close as you can get to being independent without having your own authority.

7. starsonwindow

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yeah that is what I meant by "Barely There" was a short time as a BCO!, I also wanted to know how is the money for you? What are you driving? Did you have the truck before signed on with someone? And how is the treatment from the agents? Are you finding agents that you are regularly working with? Stay Safe Brother and be careful. Thanks.

8. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    The money is pretty good. Of course, it could always be better. I turn down the loads that will lose me money. I'll deadhead first. With little exception, the agents have been great. I've called several of them I hauled for previously, and the have gotten me additional loads without having to use the load board. Hopefully before too long I can get away from the load board almost totally.

9. starsonwindow

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That is good, they called today stating that one employer is not reporting my work history, So I have to get that cleared up!... Wish me luck. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  10. rwdfinch50

Nov 6, 2007
    Leesburg, Fl.
    good luck. It will be worth it in the end.
    I used to work for FedEx, and before I came to Landstar, I thought they were the hardest company to get on with, and that was for a company driver position. Landstar was harder. but it was worth it. You just have to keep after them. You will be glad in the end that you kept with it.

11. starsonwindow

Feb 2, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona

This is it!! I may have should have put the previous post here!! This has all of that and a nice looking package:
    1.Cummins Big Engine!
    2.Automatic Transmission!!
    Only missing the APU and with the big engine I probably should see if I can find a APU??
    http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3506107&dlr=1&pcid=2000710595

Thank You!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.