What type of boots are necessary?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Texas Bound, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Do these not work? Seems cheaper than buying 3 or 4 identical pairs of boots. If you need multiple styles for different conditions, seems you would still need to dry em overnight.

Google "boot dryer". There are lots of places to get them...and probably better. I just used the Wally world link.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/SHOE-GEAR-SHOE-BOOT-DRYER-795-01/16608274

Texas Bound Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Partial to Muck ST boots myself, but I'm typically sloshing about in containments with 2"-10" of water in them (Marcellus/Utica). Also, Red Wing WORX are nice and seem to hold up well. Boot driers highly recommended, particularly if your feet sweat a lot.

Texas Bound Thanks this.
  4. Texas Bound

Texas Bound Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Windy City
    My feet do sweat a lot so I'll order a boot dryer. Probably should've ordered one years ago lol. Steel Toe Mucks also look like they'll fit the bill perfectly. Will pick up a pair off Amazon.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Just passed my Haz-mat today and I already got my Tankers and Doubles endorsements. So at least I have that out of the way.

5. Me99

Me99 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2011
    If you wanna get into frac be prepared to spend some money on boots. They dont last long when your walking in acid and chemicals and mud all day. Red wing Pecos are the only boots I buy anymore. Their expensive but there comfortable and they have a six month waterproof gaurantee. I usually get a little over six months out of a pair and then buy another. I always keep the old pair for back ups.

I know lots of guys who love muck boots but the majority of guys wear red wings or ariats. If you buy ariats get a couple pairs cause I've heard their waterproofing isn't very good.

Texas Bound Thanks this.
  6. Patrickm213

Patrickm213 Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I wouldn't spend a ton of money till you find out if the company provides a boot allowance

7. Texas Bound

Aug 26, 2014
    Windy City
    That's true. I won't over do it but I'd like to be ready to work. I'm guessing down there local stores like to charge a hefty premium and shipping might be interesting depending on my housing situation.

8. Driver5

Driver5 Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Not really. The Red Wing store here in Midland charges the exact same prices they do everywhere (and online) and Academy Sports carries just about every other brand at reasonable prices.

The typical oilfield markup doesn't really apply here in terms of boots unless you're buying in the wrong places so you don't need to worry about spending a fortune in compared to what you'd pay where you are.

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thanks this.
  9. Texas Bound

Aug 26, 2014
    Windy City
    Are composite toes ok or do they have to be steel toes?

10. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    "Safety toe" is the term I remember hearing.... which allows for steel or composite. But, I guess it could change from company to company. All it takes is one over-achieving safety manager to change it.

Texas Bound Thanks this.
  11. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    They are fine. Came about to combat electric shock and arcing. Never seen anyone not say they were OK. REquired in some places.

Texas Bound Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.