What type of driving experience are garbage companies looking for?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by starmelt, Mar 4, 2012.

1. starmelt

starmelt Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Neither here not there
    I applied for a position at Waste Management as a residential driver, but I was turned down because of my lack of commercial driving experience. I had no problem with being turned down for the position. I'll get my experience somewhere else if I have to. I'll likely be getting hired at a distribution company as a straight truck driver. My question is do garbage companies look favorably upon straight truck experience? This is the only company that would hired me without experience, so I really have no other choice. What kind of driving experience (besides a garbage truck) do they usually prefer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I applied for a waste management job yrs ago,they pay real well.I would call them up and see why they did'nt hire you.I would say it's because no exp.

4. starmelt

starmelt Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Neither here not there
    Lack of experience is the reason they gave me. Did they end up hiring you? I have no problem putting my time in somewhere else, I just want to have it count towards getting a position with one of the local garbage companies. Every garbage company around here requires at least 1 year of verifiable experience.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.