What type of semi is this referred to as?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bluebruce, Aug 25, 2014.

1. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Twin screws = air brakes = CDL B / air brake endorsement.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    In my part of the country all the beverage hauler use a single axle tractor and a single axle trailer with roll door on each side of the trailer. That makes a CDL A necessary. Yes they work their buts off.

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Yeah, or often a furniture type store gets a deal on a used 3-axle truck and they register it for 26,000 -- no cdl required (although drivers still need a dmv green card).

As far as air brakes, many straight trucks have "air assist" brakes -- no knobs to pull out, no air gauge, but they're still more touchy than hydraulic & make the air sound. These do not require a cdl.

5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    "Appointed officials", and how it's enforced is screwy, too.... in NC, the C&D company I worked for got hammered because they pulled a Bobcat on a trailer with an F750 with drivers who didn't have a CDL, yet Joe Four Wheeler can rent a 26k truck, attach a trailer to it which brings the GCWR past 26k, and they don't need anything other than their standard drivers license, even though a U-Haul is a commercial vehicle.

You're talking about air over hydraulic, and a CDL holder can be restricted from those if they don't pass the written air brake test and complete the road test in a vehicle so equipped.
    Air brakes by themselves don't require a CDL.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012

See the comment below, I'd put that truck any-######-where I please.

Say the bit about the back, twice. The depth of how hard those jobs are on your back, doesn't really set in until you start having problems with your back.

7. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Also, I think some of these delivery people get to setup displays in places like convenience stores whenever there is a holiday coming up.

8. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Coke distributers normally have class A and class B trucks. So your class A will be an asset to Coke.

9. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Friend of mine drove one for Pepsi. They trained him. Didn't have to goto school, but he did on own time to upgrade to A.

10. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    How its registered makes no difference, that only changes the fees for reg, still have to have a class b.

They have vacuum assisted brakes, air over juice was made illegal years ago. If you lose your vacuum your brakes do not engage

11. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    As with any type of lifting, you always want to take care and lift with your legs not your back

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.