What type of tanker do i need?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Floyd, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Floyd

Floyd Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Central Maine
    I will be hauling waste grease,(basically like the grease leftover after making french fries etc.)from large food processing plants, and also possibly more local stops for smaller volumes such as restuarant grease trap waste.
    I know i need a tanker that is single compartment, but beyond that i'm not exactly sure what to get. I have a few questions in mind so i will just lay them all out, and feel free to answer at will.
    I am looking into 3 types...regular single compartment tanker, insulated, and vacuum. Depending on what the waste generators have for storage facilities i may be limited to vacuum. I have a feeling this is my best bet but i would still like to hear anyones pro's and con's against any of the 3 options i listed.

I am located in the north east so i wonder if freezing may be an issue where the grease may be in the tanker for 6-8 hours at times.

What would be a good size to get? Should i go with tandem or tri-axle?

Is the vacuum pump typically truck mounted or self contained on the trailer?

Any ballpark figures on what i might expect to pay for good/roadworthy tankers of the type stated above?

Sorry for such little information. but this is a plan in the works and i'm still not sure on some of the details.
    Any other advice is welcomed and Thanks to all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    You need to supply a little more information to get good information. Large food processors whould have some form of bulk storage and may be able to pump or gravity the veggie oil into your tank.

You need insulation to keep the oil from getting solid as it cools.

Most vacuum units are not insulated and in Maine even one with a dump capability and fully opening rear head will not fully empty in the cold unless the transit time is very short.

If you use a vacuum you have several options. You can mount the vacuum pump on your tractor driven by a PTO. You can also have them front mounted and set up for hydraulic drive -or- mount a pony engine.

Each setup has it's benefits and it's shortcomings.

Down here I see the local 'Porta John' guy using vacuum tanks on a truck chassis [only 3000 -4000 gal] to service grease traps. Since the vacuum pump will also pressurize the tank he returns to the yard and blows the veg oil into a larger tank.

You could set up an insulated MC307/DOT407 which has a steam pan and insulation and get a small vacuum to fetch the waste and collect it in the larger trailer. It would be possible to circulate hot water thru the steam pan and keep the veg oil hot enough to deliver.

Vacuum units w/ opening rear heads require more frequent compliance inspections than any tanker without the opening head.

I'd recommend Massport or Demag vacuum pumps. Check out your local 'honey dipper' and you will see that most septic guys have gone over to vacuums instead of using a 'mud' pump like the old Marlow "mud hog" diaphram pumps.

Vacuum is alot cleaner, you pull the vacuum on the tank and only have to deal w/ a hose dirctly to the customer. Easier setup.

It won't be cheap.

Floyd Thanks this.
  4. Floyd

Floyd Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Central Maine
    Excellent info! This is very helpful.
    I like the idea of a truck mounted vac tank for the local pick-ups and then possibly an insulated tanker for bulk pick up at the processors.
    Any thoughts on a good place to start shopping for both?
    Thank you.

5. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Can or do they build one with in-transit heat like the chemical/food grade guys use?

6. TaserTot

TaserTot Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    West/Central TX
    You also want to look up a "baffled" trailer vs. a "smooth bore" trailer. If at all possible I would get a baffled trailer. I've heard alot of horror stories about smooth bore trailers ending up greasy side up in a ditch.

7. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    MC307/DOT407 insulated tanks have a steam 'pannel' welded onto the outside fo the floor for stationary steam heating. In-transit simply circulates the tractor coolant thru the pannel and back.

Chem Leaman used to have 'Janitrol' belly mounted heating and cooling sytems but they went away along with bias tires.

8. wis bang

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Most of the 'baffled' trailers are eliptical aluminum [MC306/DOT406] and compartmentalized to carry multiple products. Usually they are not insulated or heated.

Almost all other chemicals and food products are transported in un-baffled tanks. You do need to be aware of the motion but it is not going to flip you into a ditch unless you fight the 'motion'.

You always know when you cross over the top of the hill! When going uphill people call you on the radio saying it looks like you have flat tires cause the whole load is back on the trailer tandems till you get to the top and then it gives you a gentle push.

Don't believe those truck stop rumors; just give Tanker Yankers the respect they deserve!

RockinChair Thanks this.
  9. pathfinder1361

pathfinder1361 Light Load Member

Aug 19, 2011
    miami, fl
    liquid vacuum tankers work great as long as they are maintained adequately. (good dome gaskets, caps, etc.) if not, you lose suction ability, to the point where it won't work at all. vacuum is usually measured in inches ( 21"-29") was about maximum vacuum measurement inside the trailer/tank.

and just as important is the nature of the material you are trying to vacuum. i don't know about food grease, if it is similar to water or vegetable oil (and remains liquid) and with no solids floating or mixxed in, then you are good to go. if the material you are vacuuming deviates from being a pure liquid, then that is where you will have problems. (example say motor oil would be slower loading than water, but if it gets like thick "gear oil" or "molasses" you may not be able to vacuum that through a 2" hose.-there is a limit on the vacuum power)

many of the hazmat waste transporters have v-bottomed, center discharge trailers. (double conical) it allows for rinsing out the solids that will build up in the bottom of the trailer. (called a heel) with a straight bore tank, those solids just lay in there, build up, much more difficult to clean out.

just trying to put out some info for you.

Floyd Thanks this.
  10. Floyd

Floyd Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Central Maine
    Thanks again!
    Anyone have any thoughts on price ranges for afore mentioned types of trailers?
    Also where might i look in the north east?
    I would prefer something used in good shape.

11. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

one that you can use load locks in:biggrin_2554:, sorry , couldnt help myself....:biggrin_25522:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.