what was the WORST or CRAZIEST thing you have ever hauled?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeepSouthRollin, May 6, 2018.

1. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    I’ve done a number of Radio Active loads. They take the cake in my book...right up there with Explosives (only the big boom kind not boring ### fireworks)

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I think the stupidest load I've ever done was for USPS. Yes I got paid for it but dam stupid.

We had a mail load going from Denver to LA. We get to Denver and back into the dock. 2 hr's later they come out and say your ready to go.so I pull out of the dock so I can close the doors and they can seal it. I look inside and they have ONE PAPER STUCK ON THE WALL thats it.

I get to LA and they came out unsealed it took the paper scanned the bar code and said have a nice day..

Badmon, Lepton1 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Thats a great load, But not unusual for USPS, Great for the owner of the truck. I do alot of USPS loads there always light. Just did Vegas on New Years eve, the load to vegas was rated at 2% the load back was full to the doors 28 pallets, still light 17,000.. The emptiest I have ever seen highway 15 both ways, not complaining. 4 hours each way, 22 minutes at the dock in Vegas drop the trailer in LA, North bound was preloaded and ready 2 hours early. Great load.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We run McKesson back in the day out of Memphis usually million plus in the trailer.

Believe it or not, some of the most difficult loads (Means monitored) were those with two or four pallets of some really good stuff in the nose. For us they were all monitored. But those were needed never to stop. That was where our team came in.

Cost? I don't wanna know. A pint of Codine liquid goes for upwards of 5K on the street illegally. and the worst part about that stuff? It does not carry much of a impact as does other medicines.

The morning of 9-11 we delivered to Detriot after a 3 hour delay hiding out nearby, one of the only times being late met with no word or problems. They reloaded us with everything until we cubed out. That went to Connecticut for 9-13 prior to sunrise. We crossed the GWB at 930 PM on the 12th the fires were going pretty good downriver.

As far as more of the crazy loads I was remembering a container load of bird seed out of India off the Ship. Dispatch made a big to do about the #### thing in a 40 foot box and we found it, took it downtown into Baltimore near Hopkins to deliver.

Opened the doors and it was rejected instantly. Why? Apparently the big floor to ceiling bags were filled in a place that allowed a great deal of native soil and dirt to migrate into the entire load. A few inches of india came out of the truck doors.

The entire load was dropped back at the company yard and no one was happy. I don't know what became of it. Anything is possible.

6. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Wet, folded, cowhides in a 20 foot container.......would go down hwy 287 from Dumas, Tx with people passing me while giving me the bird.......you see, the juice would flyout on them......very salty, nasty smelling "juice"......

Grubby, Badmon, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  7. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I didn't drive but arranged the load.
    A bunch of screaming queens in a parade. It was an annual parade through the city and we hired a truck to a group for 3 days.Day 1 drop trailer off , one of those with curtains along the sides that can open so they can decorate it like a stage.Day 2 take part in the parade and day 3 for them to clear their goods from the trailer. Got paid upfront and had every driver volunteering for the job. Accountant comes in and asks why we got a payment from GLLO , I reply that they are hiring a truck for the parade. She asks if I know who they are ? No , but they paid upfront I say. She says Gay and Lesbian Liberation Organisation. Oh ! I say , I had no idea. All of a sudden all the volunteer drivers are nowhere to be seen. I can tell you that those who get onto the float in a parade are no shrinking violets. Stripper poles , glitter balls were only the start. Driver who did the job got all sorts of advice from the other drivers. "If you get a flat and bend over to change it ..........." sort of comments.

Grubby, Badmon, Farmerbob1 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive hauled cowhide to Eagle Pass from the Garden City Kansas region. Covered wagon. But it was dead of winter in Lubbock with a 50 mph sustained wind trying to tear my whole tarp off at 20 below. I think I had about roughly 250 tarp straps holding all that one side in before it finally froze in place and held the tarp.

You wont believe what I did to make sure that tarp stayed in place. I found a carwash with a big enough clearance (Midroof, relatively easy) and wet the whole thing down. Waited 15 minutes FROZEN. Done. No more problems.

That load went to Eagle Pass Texas for Export to Mexico. We keep the good quality cow hide in the USA and the less than good went out of the Country export.

Lepton1 and weirdpuckett Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Did that driver do a thorough pretrip inspection?

10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    LOL...if he did I don't think I want to know what all that entailed. Uh, no pun intended.

Cattleman84, x1Heavy and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.